MegaBass Super Orochi XXX F5-68K

Hi guys,

I’m thinking about picking up my first MegaBass rod. I want to get a MegaBass Super Orochi XXX F5-68K. I’ve researched the living crap out of it. However, there really isn’t much information about this rod, so I’m going to have to ask the enthusiasts on this board.

I have been getting into collecting high-end jerkbaits like Lucky Craft Pointers, Duo Realis Jackall, and the coveted MegaBass Vision 110. However, I have a “need” to start getting into deep diving jerkbaits and larger sized jerkbaits such as the MegaBass Vision 110 Magnum, MegaBass Vision 110+1 and +2, LuckyCraft StaySee, LuckyCraft Point 128SP, etc.

I also want to throw 1oz topwater pencil stickbaits like the LuckyCraft Sammy 128 on this rod.
    I’ve heard that this rod is versatile, and it can be used for any moving baits including spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, and crankbaits as well.

Here are my questions:

1. This rod’s specifications are 6’ 8” Medium-Heavy power with a “Regular” action. What does “Regular” action mean? Does that mean Moderate?
    2. How is the rods power? For example, is it really stiff like a St. Croix Medium Heavy which is actually closer to a true Heavy or is it like a true Medium Heavy 3 power G. Loomis or does it have a tip of 2 power G. Loomis but has a backbone of a 4 power. I don’t want an overly stiff broomstick of a rod but understand that that sometimes a stiff heavy power rod is necessary and ideal for fishing heavy cover or working heavier and or higher resistance baits. The reason I don’t like stiff heavy powered rods anymore is because I am a recreational fisherman. I like the rod to bend because it makes it so much for fun when fighting a fish.
    3. Moreover, how is the sensitivity?
    4. Also, can this rod double up and fish lighter jerkbaits like the original MegaBass Vision 110 and even smaller jerkbaits like 3/8oz sizes such as the LuckyCraft Pointer 78?
    5. Can this rod handle a weight slightly over the recommended specs of 3/8-1oz? For example, can it throw a Whopper Plopper 130 that weighs 1 and 3/8ths of an ounce without a problem?

I just can’t do the MegaBass Destroyer F4.5-611X ONETEN SPECIAL because for one, it’s almost 7’. That is too long for a jerkbait in my opinion; at least, for my preference. Even the F5-68K is pushing it at 6’ 8”. Secondly, I’m not trying to drop $400+ on a Destroyer when I already went crazy bezerk buying $1000 worth of gear and tackle this past Black Friday. Instead of the MegaBass Destroyer F4.5-611X ONETEN SPECIAL, I’m going to purchase a G. Loomis Classic 6’ Medium Fast CR722 IMX to handle my lighter jerkbait needs and prefer the shorter 6’ length for jerkbaiting. It makes sense to me to have a shorter rod for jerkbaiting because you have to jerk the rod tip down and I don’t want to have to worry about the rod tip hitting any obstructions.

2. Member
    I don’t have any experience with this specific rod but do like the xxx series. Your best bet is to contact Gary at the tackle trap, his knowledge of megabass rods is vast

3. Member
    I'm a OneTen Special guy. But, I have multiple MB rods. Every one of them does what it's supposed to, and does it well. The guys at Tackle Trap will put you on the right rod. Mark Perry knows his MB too. I asked him a ? a while back and he asked a well-know pro, who's the authority on MB IMO, as he had just used the rod in competition. Just PM those two and you'll be covered.

4. Member
    @TohoRookie, thanks for your referral. I will reach out to Mark Perry.

5. Member
    @TohoRookie, thank you so much for your referral. I will reach out to him.

6. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Another option for you might be to find a lightly used Gen 1 F4.5-68 Orochi XX Jerkbait Special. Keep an eye out in the Rods4Sale forum or post in the Wanted To Buy - Fishing Tackle Only forum. The sweet spot for this rod is a Vision 110 (surprise, surprise) but I've thrown Duo 150's down to 4" Rogues with it but most of my time is spent chucking a Vision 110 or LC Slender Pointer 112 MR.

P.S. - It's also a pretty decent popper rod.....
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax