Cooler weather techniques

I know peeps don’t always like to share fishing secrets, I’m fairly new to bass fishing, just curious if the plastic worms and such are still a decent choice or if a guy should be throwing cranks or even jigs? Last time out I caught a couple on weedless jigs, seems I see a lot of people throwing lipless cranks as well. Just looking for any advice that would be a common knowledge for winter months. Seems like all the fish on finding or still shallow. Thanks

2. Banned
    Caught 3 decent fish last week 2'-3' deep on black/blue creature water temp in low to mid 40's. Anything that resembles a crawdads will work anytime of the year. Cold water just means the fish will be more lethargic.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    Caught 3 decent fish last week 2'-3' deep on black/blue creature water temp in low to mid 40's. Anything that resembles a crawdads will work anytime of the year. Cold water just means the fish will be more lethargic.
    Thank you for the tip jarhead175. The jig I was using had was dark with some blue on it. I still haven’t figured out how to catch bass in water any deeper than 5-6 feet, most of them are coming along the weed lines in very shallow water for me.

4. Member
    I have been throwing ned rigs & always getting bit... super ez to use... it's just a shrunken worm!!

5. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    There’s always fish shallow. I’m a shallow fisherman at hear but come January I like to get on channel swings and vertical fish. Jan and feb I do a lot of video game fishing. Amazing how many bass I catch with big crappie hogs out of brush. So this year I’m gonna upscale some more and target bass in brush out deep vertically.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haftafish22 View Post
    There’s always fish shallow. I’m a shallow fisherman at hear but come January I like to get on channel swings and vertical fish. Jan and feb I do a lot of video game fishing. Amazing how many bass I catch with big crappie hogs out of brush. So this year I’m gonna upscale some more and target bass in brush out deep vertically.
    I would love to learn to catch Bass deeper, especially vertically. How deep do you look? Drop shots? Thanks haftafish.

7. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Drop shot and grubs.... 25-30 max mostly 15-20

8. Member
    I prefer fishing rather shallow also and when it's cold I like look for shallow rock. When the sun is on the rocks it retains heat and warms the water and pulls the fish in. I like to fish it with a crankbait or a football jig.

Worms will catch fish year round. Might have to slow them down and maybe go smaller but they work

10. Member
    What lake do you primarily fish? That can make a difference. Also looking for numbers or really big fish? Numbers customary winter tactic's with occasional big fish. Theses would included worms jigs c-rig. Fish of lifetime Alabama rig crankbaits and jerkbaits. I primarily fish in se okla water can be slightly warmer then northern part of state

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigal74848 View Post
    What lake do you primarily fish? That can make a difference. Also looking for numbers or really big fish? Numbers customary winter tactic's with occasional big fish. Theses would included worms jigs c-rig. Fish of lifetime Alabama rig crankbaits and jerkbaits. I primarily fish in se okla water can be slightly warmer then northern part of state
    i’m in Central Oklahoma, unfortunately not really close to any exceptional lakes. I mostly fish small lakes in the area, Lake Arbuckle is a couple hours away that would probably be the best decent that’s fairly close to me.

12. Member
    I caught 12 today, 7 on a jerk bait and five on a red eye shad. Water temps was in the mid 40's. Biggest was about five pounds and five biggest about eighteen pounds.

13. Member
    Arbuckle is a good winter/lake winter lake. Other lakes which may be near you konowa okema okmulgee and dripping springs. My first double digit came from dripping springs. Lot of good lakes in our state. Hopefully the info everyone has provided will help you get familiar with fishing in ok. Pick a lake and learn it

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RNF View Post
    I caught 12 today, 7 on a jerk bait and five on a red eye shad. Water temps was in the mid 40's. Biggest was about five pounds and five biggest about eighteen pounds.
    you’re averaging 4 pounds per fish, I’d say that’s pretty good.
    Last edited by itsahog; 12-26-2019 at 01:16 PM.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigal74848 View Post
    Arbuckle is a good winter/lake winter lake. Other lakes which may be near you konowa okema okmulgee and dripping springs. My first double digit came from dripping springs. Lot of good lakes in our state. Hopefully the info everyone has provided will help you get familiar with fishing in ok. Pick a lake and learn it
    thank you, those lakes come up quite frequently. I definitely plan on fishing them.