02 optimax problems

Serial OT512962
    02 225 optimax
    02 stratos 21xl magnum
    25p tempest bb by croxton
    56-5700
    sc100 gauge
    Kind of a weird issue and I’ve had the boat in two separate mecurey shops trying to figure it out and haven’t been able to get any answers. First hole shot of the day is awesome pops right out gets going good and runs hard all the way to 5600-5700 rpms stop fish for an hour or two and I can’t get her to break over to save my life have to rock the steering to the side to get it to come over now the weird part if I stop mid run real quick idle and take off again it’ll pop right out again.

Try only large hole pvs plug for starter
    87 octane fuel with quickleen every tank and premium plus at 150-1 in the fuel, double up on the quickleen for a couple tanks.
    Might be a good idea to have the intake air temp sensor tested for accuracy esp. 125 degree and higher temps or just replace it
    Checked the reeds yet
    Might also want to have the idle relief ports checked for carbon restrictions
    What rpm and top speeds are you getting
    Got poles on this rig?

I am assuming air/fuel pressure test including leakdown rates have been checked as well as compression test
    Last edited by lpugh; 12-09-2019 at 11:37 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    All good suggestions.

Exhaust tuner is one place to check... but suspect the immediate problem is something else.

Maintenance History?

Still have Factory Reeds? If so, good idea to get them changed out, I prefer/recommend/sell TDR Reeds that are designed specifically for this engine.

Have you upgraded the fuel line, bulb, pulse pump rebuild and replaced the Fuel Filter (Recently)?

Pumping primer bulb firm before EVERY engine start? Especially important at higher elevations and warmer temps!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor