switching batteries to balance 2014 P II

I've got a new to me PII that has a list to the starboard side sitting on the water with no one in it . When I am sitting in the drivers seat its actually worse until under way . 24 volt trolling motor with two batteries factory mounted on the starboard side , Oil tank on same side , and cranking battery all by itself on the port side . Seems to me the 2) trolling batteries should have been mounted on the port side with the oil tank and cranking battery on the starboard side . I am thinking this factory set up was to allow for installation of the optional 10 gal tank on the port side space if desired . Has anyone moved the batteries around and noticed an improvement ?
    Still learning to drive this boat and had it up to 70 so far and read that more weight should be located on the port side to help lessen chine walk .

2. Member
    First thing I did when I brought home my 2015 P2 was reconfigure the batteries. Mine was rigged like yours from the factory, except the oil tank was already on the starboard side. The reason I did this was because I fish alone most of the time, and also mounted my single Talon on the port side. I figured the two troller batteries with Talon on the port side, and the crank battery and oil tank on the starboard side would be a good arrangement for me for balance. It also gave me easier access to check fluid levels in the troller batteries because I was able to move them more forward also without the oil tank in the way. It was not a difficult job. There is Euroflex adhesive around the screws fastening the trays, so you have to use a putty knife to gently remove it and pry the trays off. I did not have access to Euroflex so along with screws, I used PL2 urethane construction adhesive for the re-positioning.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Quote Originally Posted by kls2020 View Post
    I've got a new to me PII that has a list to the starboard side sitting on the water with no one in it . When I am sitting in the drivers seat its actually worse until under way . 24 volt trolling motor with two batteries factory mounted on the starboard side , Oil tank on same side , and cranking battery all by itself on the port side . Seems to me the 2) trolling batteries should have been mounted on the port side with the oil tank and cranking battery on the starboard side . I am thinking this factory set up was to allow for installation of the optional 10 gal tank on the port side space if desired . Has anyone moved the batteries around and noticed an improvement ?
    Still learning to drive this boat and had it up to 70 so far and read that more weight should be located on the port side to help lessen chine walk .
    Just the opposite in every bass boat I have owned in over forty years. At least a 100 lbs heavier on the starboard side for less or in some case no chine walk and a little more top end speed, My present Cougar like 150 plus on the right side, keep in mind the prop is rotating clockwise is also trying to rotate the boat counter clock wise. Balance of the boat is totally different at max speed and trimmed out a little, also Cats to not require much trim. Excessive trim will only slow you down and induce chine walk. If the rooster tail is as high as the top of motor, your trimmed to high and/or your setup is not right
    I know I just started a potential argument, just try it, The proof is in the end results

Do not use the throttle to learn about chine walk. Keep it wide open and learn to use trim only as you get used to the small steering corrections that may be needed. Full trim up till about 60 then trim down until the rooster tail is very low, then gradually trim up while watching the gps in tenths of a mph, if it starts to walk tweek the trim down, you will find a sweet spot that is faster and very little chine walk at far less than full trim up
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    What lpugh stated is correct.
    The drivers location on the starboard side was used to counter prop rotation. Once on plane the starboard lean should disappear.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

5. Member
    My 07 puma is the same way. It will list to the starboard side a bit when it gets up and just before it sits back down. Levels off when you get underway. What Leon said about hull design intent and characteristics is spot on. A cat is really hooked up when you have hardly any rooster tail at all. If you were to slowly back out of it enough and leave the trim in the same position, you would notice the tail come back

6. Member
    Thanks for the responses everyone . I don't believe I've hit the "over trimmed "position yet as I only keep gaining speed (opposed to shedding it) as I am slowly trimming up. Still working on timing steering input and it's effect on countering the chine . When I get it right it goes away but if not it starts up again . Admittedly just need more practice developing my feel for staying balanced on the pad at speed .

7. Member
    The P2 can be a handful........

I had a 96 PII with a hopped up 3.0L EFI that would run 80 MPH with no chine walk running with just me in the boat
    Thank You Leon Pugh

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdogfish View Post
    Yes it can, but a real fun boat. Crazy holeshot, as does the newer Classic.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Quote Originally Posted by jcdogfish View Post
    Best boat i ever owned. I wish I kept it and all that Extra $$$ in the bank.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

First thing I did was switch my TM batteries to the port side, cranker to the starboard side in my Sabre FTD to provide a little more balance when I fish solo 90% of the time. Made a difference in handling.
    2ABB92A9-873D-4A5C-9A3A-749538D5CE1E.jpegC0AADDF0-FBC2-42BD-832B-90754EF758BA.jpeg
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    First thing I did was switch my TM batteries to the port side, cranker to the starboard side in my Sabre FTD to provide a little more balance when I fish solo 90% of the time. Made a difference in handling.
    2ABB92A9-873D-4A5C-9A3A-749538D5CE1E.jpegC0AADDF0-FBC2-42BD-832B-90754EF758BA.jpeg
    This is how my PII is set up. PP pumps are on port side behind batteries.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

13. Member
    one comment. this "balancing" is impossible in general. Why? the counter-clockwise force the motor/prop apply to the hull varies according to throttle setting / speed / load. So you can get a near-perfect balance at one specific speed and load, but if you vary either, the balancing will be out. In short, spend less time worrying about setup and such and learn to drive the thing with no chine-walking no matter what the circumstance. In fact, you ought to try over-trimming some. That will raise the bow more, and make it harder to balance on the pad. Once you can drive it there, you are good to go and it will be easier to drive it at a correct trim angle. Not saying that jack plate height, prop choice, boat balance left to right and fore-to-aft won't help performance, but it really is going to do little to stop chine walking. That is the driver's job.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200