Looking to upgrade trolling motor (need help)

Hey guys,

so this season coming up I plan to upgrade my old motor to a new one and have ipilot for the Spot Lock option and don’t know if having 2 Garmin Echomaps 93’s have anything to do with selecting the motor.

Currently running an older Minn Kota Maxxum on a 18ft 1991 Nitro.

What do you guys recommend?

I went on a guided tour with a guy who’s motor ripped through small branches and weeds easily and didn’t know if it was the prop being upgraded or the motor being that good but I liked how he didn’t have to avoid them as much.

I know nothing about them.

Just get an ultrex with basic I pilot. And I'm sure the captain was just sending it, probably not best for any trolling motor but can be done with all.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Are those Plus or Chirp units??

If Plus and you would like to intergrate TM with them, then Garmin would be the answer. Alot depends on the buyer, do you want to spend that much, what brand do you like and features you want.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Are those Plus or Chirp units??

If Plus and you would like to intergrate TM with them, then Garmin would be the answer. Alot depends on the buyer, do you want to spend that much, what brand do you like and features you want.
    Plus units. Brand doesn’t matter. Don’t want to spend too much.
    Mainly looking for stronger prop for weeds and spot lock option.
    I will possibly be looking to upgrade to Livescope in the future so dont know if that plays a factor in trolling motors.
    What are the benefits if I integrate them, and how much more would that cost as opposed to just getting another Minn Kota with ipilot?
    Last edited by datbasstho; 12-10-2019 at 08:29 AM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Just get an ultrex with basic I pilot. And I'm sure the captain was just sending it, probably not best for any trolling motor but can be done with all.
    sorry what do you mean by the captain was just sending it?

6. Member
    A MK Riptide Terrova 80# I Pilot has Spot Lock and is less expensive than the Ulterra. If you aren't linking to a Humminbird unit you don't need the I Pilot Link. I am upgrading from a MK Riptide Maxxum to the Riptide Terrova.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swglenn View Post
    A MK Riptide Terrova 80# I Pilot has Spot Lock and is less expensive than the Ulterra. If you aren't linking to a Humminbird unit you don't need the I Pilot Link. I am upgrading from a MK Riptide Maxxum to the Riptide Terrova.
    Ya, im not linking to any birds so I wont need the link.
    Ill definitely look into this.
    Is the prop powerful for weeds and stuff on this model? Or are all props pretty much the same stock until you replace them with better ones?

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    If going with an Minn Kota or have more questions on them, head over to TM page as you will get more traffic there to help with specifics.

9. Member
    If going with an Minn Kota or have more questions on them, head over to TM page as you will get more traffic there to help with specifics.
    Will do, just thought I would try in here because I didnt know if my finders had anything to do with the motor.

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    No problem.....if you wanted to go with the Garmin Force and link your units, we could get you going on here....Since your leaning towards MK, the MK crowd can help out better over there...

Just want to get you the "correct" help.....

11. Member
    No problem.....if you wanted to go with the Garmin Force and link your units, we could get you going on here....Since your leaning towards MK, the MK crowd can help out better over there...

Just want to get you the "correct" help.....
    But what benefits are there when linking the units to the motor?
    And as always, appreciate the great help!

12. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    They all do mostly the same thing when paired with its unit. Since you have Garmin units here is what it states on the website:

"Simple integration with your Garmin chartplotter via a wireless connection makes using the built-in autopilot easy. Create routes to your favorite waypoint, and follow tracks while you fish. The built-in autopilot, with integrated heading sensor and GPS, provides anchor lock, heading hold and cruise control. Check your settings on the unit, your chartplotter or sunlight-visible remote display. Just set your track, and it will guide you along your course."

You also have the controls on the unit as an added feature along with transducer "built onto" the TM and with pricing, you are talking more $$.

Here is more reading on the Force.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/61...n/010-02024-00

13. Member
    They all do mostly the same thing when paired with its unit. Since you have Garmin units here is what it states on the website:

"Simple integration with your Garmin chartplotter via a wireless connection makes using the built-in autopilot easy. Create routes to your favorite waypoint, and follow tracks while you fish. The built-in autopilot, with integrated heading sensor and GPS, provides anchor lock, heading hold and cruise control. Check your settings on the unit, your chartplotter or sunlight-visible remote display. Just set your track, and it will guide you along your course."

You also have the controls on the unit as an added feature along with transducer "built onto" the TM and with pricing, you are talking more $$.

Here is more reading on the Force.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/61...n/010-02024-00

appreciate the help !!!

14. Member
    The pairing of the Force with the MFD and remote is outstanding. I really like it. I use the controls on the MFD very often and find them convenient. Sure you can spin the wheel on the foot pedal to change speed, same as standard TMs, but since I have the LVS and PS22 on the TM, ordinarily I prefer to use the remote or MFD controls.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.