Lowrance electronic fuel flow sensor for carbureted boats?

I've been trying to find a more reliable solution than just replacing the fuel gauge or sending unit on my 95 R72 ranger. It quit working earlier this year and now that I've finished hunting my attention is turned back towards the boat for the 2020 season. I run a Lowrance elite TI2 at the console and bow so I have the NMEA options available on my unit at the console. My question is will the sensor in the link below work for a carbureted fuel line or does it have to be the high pressure lines on a EFI motor? by the looks of the inlet/outlet push on fittings it might work with the carbureted fuel line. My motor is a 1995 115 2 stroke Merc. https://www.lowrance.com/lowrance/ty...low-sensor-pk/

If this were to work my thought process is I can fill up with the 24 gal my boat holds and monitor the flow rate of gallons used on my elite unit to determine my fuel level. Am I shooting for the stars on this, what do you guys think?

2. Member
    Works great been it for years, it's in the fuel line before the bulb, so works with anything.

3. Member
    Oh sweet baby Jesus there is light at the end of the tunnel. Do you remember if the sensor is straight through or does it have some kind of orifice the fuel flows through?

4. Member
    Internally, I think it's a little water wheel type deal, put I don't know. I know mine is faitrly accurate, shows just a little more used than the actual, makes it pretty safe you aren't running out unexpectedly.

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Im not sure but wouldnt you also need the Fuel data manager sensor to help track usage??

https://www.lowrance.com/lowrance/ty...ta-manager-pk/
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

6. Member
    I had one on my previous ranger, super easy install, plugs right up to nema network and displays fuel burned, gals per/hr, seasonal etc. Pretty accurate for the most part.

7. Member
    I have the fuel flow sensor on my Ranger with a 2002 Yamaha and originally displayed fuel level on my Lowrance HDS gen two units. Works great as you can set your fuel tank capacity and when you fill up simply set to full. It then displays how much fuel is left in tank based upon how much fuel has been used. In my case I show 45 gallons when full. You can also indicate how much fuel you added in gallons if not filling up completely. As a side note I switched to HB Solix units and the Lowrance NMEA network and fuel flow sensor works the fine plugged into my Solix network.
    Randall Heinrich
    Alpharetta, GA
    2002 Ranger 195VS
    200 Yamaha VMax EFI

8. Member
    thank you everyone for the input and help!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Randallheinrich View Post
    I have the fuel flow sensor on my Ranger with a 2002 Yamaha and originally displayed fuel level on my Lowrance HDS gen two units. Works great as you can set your fuel tank capacity and when you fill up simply set to full. It then displays how much fuel is left in tank based upon how much fuel has been used. In my case I show 45 gallons when full. You can also indicate how much fuel you added in gallons if not filling up completely. As a side note I switched to HB Solix units and the Lowrance NMEA network and fuel flow sensor works the fine plugged into my Solix network.
    Am I correct in thinking that, if the fuel flow sensor was the only NMEA device used, I could plug it directly into my Solix?
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

10. Member
    get on Lowrance site and do the instant messenger and ask them. I was on there the other day and found out how you can connect the built in transducer of either Motorguide or MinnKota to my Elite graphs. they're pretty helpful and you don't have to wait on hold too. My take on the NMEA is it will work on any electronic that has the software in it but since Lowrance has it on their site and it's marketed under their name will those sensors only work with Lowrance graphs or will it work with any NMEA...? Not sure

11. Member
    Response to NoZero...you have to have the NMEA 2000 network in place. The fuel flow sensor plugs into the network.
    Randall Heinrich
    Alpharetta, GA
    2002 Ranger 195VS
    200 Yamaha VMax EFI

12. Member
    Thanks Randall!

It sounds like - from Humminbird's documentation, that any NMEA (single) sensor or unit can plug directly into the back of a solid and work without the "network". I'm just wondering if anyone has actually done that.
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS