Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Anybody else re-thinking BFL this season???

Is it looking like this merger/take-over is turning into a hot mess to anybody else? Word at the regionals was that nothing changing right away. I knew better, but taking away the biggest contingency that affects at least 50% of BFL fisherman seems like a pretty big change right out of the gate. I see where they are announcing sign ups are open, and yet they don't even have their contingencies announced yet. Except for the Phoenix name, and even the details of that contingency aren't known. Guys will be fishing in Florida in a few weeks, and they don't even have them announced.

I'll probably sign up and fish them, but it is not feeling like a normal FLW pre-season, and it's not feeling very organized. I could be wrong, hope I am.
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

2. Member
    I had planed to fish the Volunteer division this year. Haven't committed either way yet. Lowering the entry fees for events should increase the participation numbers. Many of the companies that have contingency programs for 2019 have not listed program information for 2020. Berkley and Powerpole have, but others like Ranger have not updated their sites with 2020 information. The Ranger Cup website states they will open registration the middle of this month.

3. Member
    I’m considering it but will enter if the payout structure changes. They said the entry fees are lowered and payout stays the same but that can either mean the payout structure stays the same or the payouts will be increased, judging by the continuous changes and retractions surrounding the FLW from the head organization (format, championships, partnerships, etc) I’m expecting the payouts to suck. Until they actually produce the payout structure based on field size, I’m not holding my breath with anything that comes from the MLFLW. I know guys at the regional who left the tournament early after hearing the changes coming forward for next year, some even cashed a check that day too.

Ranger is no longer a sponsor of FLW, and Phoenix boats is the primary sponsor for the FLW tour, series, and BFLs so I’m not sure if the ranger cup money will remain. It’s odd that the contingencies haven’t been listed yet, especially since the first BFL is coming up. The contingency means nothing to me as a coangler, but as long as the payouts stay the same, I’d rather fish club tournaments out of my own boat. I don’t have time to practice to fish as a boater so I don’t wanna screw a co for my lack of knowledge
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Fishing is a Passion
    You need to look at the ABA if you have a division near you
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

5. Member
    A timely question for me. While preparing to start on the lowest rung of professional fishing given my situation, I’ve been positioning (prior to FLW buyout) for months to fish BFL Cowboy as a boater. Registration opens tomorrow and I have my non-boater link (contingent on my decision) but I’m now strongly considering passing as I explore other routes...

6. Banned
    I had planned to, but was advised by some friends who have some loose ties to the industry that it would be in my best interest to look for other options. Knowing what I know now, that was sound advice I was given and can now understand why it was given. What a slow motion train wreck that's going on. That's what prompted me to join this message board to get opinions on alternatives. Thankfully when I asked the question in my first thread I promptly was given the great option of ABA circuit to look at, and I am likely to do that as opposed to risking the involvement with what looks like a self destructing organization. I haven't renewed membership with FLW and don't intend to.

However, word now going around is if you're a FLW member and have fished one local farm pond tournament you're going to be instantly entered into the MLFLW newest initiative, it's called the "insta-pro" program and you will get an invite to fish the 2020 FLW Pro tour. Of course, there is a $40k plus expenses initiation fee into that new exclusive club, but hey, you get to call yourself a pro. What's not to love about that deal?

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Seminole Wind View Post
    I had planned to, but was advised by some friends who have some loose ties to the industry that it would be in my best interest to look for other options. Knowing what I know now, that was sound advice I was given and can now understand why it was given. What a slow motion train wreck that's going on. That's what prompted me to join this message board to get opinions on alternatives. Thankfully when I asked the question in my first thread I promptly was given the great option of ABA circuit to look at, and I am likely to do that as opposed to risking the involvement with what looks like a self destructing organization. I haven't renewed membership with FLW and don't intend to.

However, word now going around is if you're a FLW member and have fished one local farm pond tournament you're going to be instantly entered into the MLFLW newest initiative, it's called the "insta-pro" program and you will get an invite to fish the 2020 FLW Pro tour. Of course, there is a $40k plus expenses initiation fee into that new exclusive club, but hey, you get to call yourself a pro. What's not to love about that deal?
    My buddy got that invitation last week and is going to go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neverest View Post
    A timely question for me. While preparing to start on the lowest rung of professional fishing given my situation, I’ve been positioning (prior to FLW buyout) for months to fish BFL Cowboy as a boater. Registration opens tomorrow and I have my non-boater link (contingent on my decision) but I’m now strongly considering passing as I explore other routes...
    Dude...if you want to fish...just fish. Great bunch of guys in the Cowboy division, and a very well run tournament series. Don’t let all this internet nonsense keep you off the lake. The same tourney director is running the trail...nothing looks much different except the entries are lower. We’re talking about a $200 deal where your buddy isn’t breathing down your neck on the front deck. It ain’t the Classic for Gods sake.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Dude...if you want to fish...just fish. Great bunch of guys in the Cowboy division, and a very well run tournament series. Don’t let all this internet nonsense keep you off the lake. The same tourney director is running the trail...nothing looks much different except the entries are lower. We’re talking about a $200 deal where your buddy isn’t breathing down your neck on the front deck. It ain’t the Classic for Gods sake.
    Internet opinions have very little, if any bearing, on my decisions...

10. Member
    Just wait it out and see what happens in Florida, that’s what I’m doing, and. Lot of others. No need to sign you early, theyvdefinitkwy wint have a full field and you can sign up a week before did you want to.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonMan250 View Post
    My buddy got that invitation last week and is going to go for it.
    Make sure you tell your buddy not to rush out and try and become pro staff with endimic sponsors by committing to spending $1000s per year just to get a patch and a couple stickers. In this new MLFLW insta-pro initiative, the jerseys, boat and truck wraps are included. The title sponsors will be KSE affiliated, Walmart and Dicks Sporting Goods, with associate sponsors being geared to the new target audiences. Look for Huggies, Johnson & Johnson, Playtex, Mydol, Tampax, and Vagasil logos to exclusively adorn the custom jerseys, truck/boat wraps and strategic stamps on the boat deck carpeting.

With all of those pro perks your friend will be fishing in style. We will be looking for him on the tour!

12. Member
    I really don't think the contingency money comes into play for most of the BFL anglers....At least in Michigan anyway.....80 percent of the field is running older equipment that wouldn't qualify for the FLW sponsor money......Now entry fees, payouts and schedules are huge...
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

Internet opinions have very little, if any bearing, on my decisions...
    Good...I’d be interested to hear why your re-thinking the BFL’s?

Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    I really don't think the contingency money comes into play for most of the BFL anglers....At least in Michigan anyway.....80 percent of the field is running older equipment that wouldn't qualify for the FLW sponsor money......Now entry fees, payouts and schedules are huge...
    no year limit for ranger cup in bfl. Buddy has gotten a bunch of ranger cup money with an old boat. Costa , power pole, and berkley also
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    BFL’s have always been Ranger Cup...no age limit on the boat. Costa’s were Ranger Contingency which had age rules on the boat. FLW tour was Contingency also...hence new rigs every year for the tour level guys.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    BFL’s have always been Ranger Cup...no age limit on the boat. Costa’s were Ranger Contingency which had age rules on the boat. FLW tour was Contingency also...hence new rigs every year for the tour level guys.
    Ranger has just abandoned a 30 year relationship with FLW and will not be a sponsor anymore. So it's doubtful the incentives you are talking about will be in play for 2020. In other news, Bass Pro Shops is also on its way out. You didn't hear that already? Imagine that!

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Make sure you tell your buddy not to rush out and try and become pro staff with endimic sponsors by committing to spending $1000s per year just to get a patch and a couple stickers. In this new MLFLW insta-pro initiative, the jerseys, boat and truck wraps are included. The title sponsors will be KSE affiliated, Walmart and Dicks Sporting Goods, with associate sponsors being geared to the new target audiences. Look for Huggies, Johnson & Johnson, Playtex, Mydol, Tampax, and Vagasil logos to exclusively adorn the custom jerseys, truck/boat wraps and strategic stamps on the boat deck carpeting.

With all of those pro perks your friend will be fishing in style. We will be looking for him on the tour!
    Hey what's a little "Diversity in Sponsors" when you are "Living the Dream" A Truck and Boat Wrap plus all sorts of colorful logos all over your Cool, Comfortable, Commercial Covered, Catching Bass for Cash Clothing.....I bet it includes an ample supply of free samples to hand out at tournaments and boat shows you'll be a favorite of the females in attendance.

18. Tico
    Phoenix paid $7,000 for a BFL win when Phoenix was not a BFL/FLW sponsor. Ranger could do the same with Ranger Cup if it wanted to.

Ranger has just abandoned a 30 year relationship with FLW and will not be a sponsor anymore. So it's doubtful the incentives you are talking about will be in play for 2020. In other news, Bass Pro Shops is also on its way out. You didn't hear that already? Imagine that!
    Since Ranger hasn’t announced 2020 Ranger Cup program yet...I’m not sure how you are coming to that conclusion. Costa’s haven’t announced contingencies. Where are you getting your info..or are these your opinions? Or Sarcasm?

Ranger was never a title sponsor and hasn’t released
    the cup info yet. I signed up for a FLW series( costa) and ranger owners still had priority
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast