Vz225 fuel strainer ?

The in line fueld strainer has a rubber fuel ine from the VST tanbks to the strainer. The line has two crimp on style clamps that coast about $6 each and a special plier type crimper (or maybe fencing pliers) to crimp them.

Why will a regular screw type hose clamp not work just as well for 50 cents and no special tool?

I need to change both the strainer and hose because the hose appears to be cracking slightly and I am already going to be changing the other filters anyway.

Wayne

2. Member
    Those little clamps are called Oetiker or Pex clamps. You can usually buy them in different sizes in auto parts stores for less than a dollar each. These clamps are much better than screw clamps because they put even pressure all the way around hose and won't back off. Use a clamp just slightly bigger than the hose. I use a cheap "tile nipper" to crimp them....looks the same and does the same job as the expensive tool.

3. Member
    How much pressure is required to crimp the Oetiker/Pex clamps? Do you just crimp them until the two sides of the crimp are touching or can you feel it when they get tight?

Wayne

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneM1946 View Post
    How much pressure is required to crimp the Oetiker/Pex clamps? Do you just crimp them until the two sides of the crimp are touching or can you feel it when they get tight?

Wayne
    Clamp should be just large enough to slide easily over hose. And yes, the tool grips/pinches behind the "bump out" of the clamp, so crimp till the narrow parts touch.

5. Member
    Thank you, Sir.

Wayne