2004 optimax 200 serial # 1B071504 shift lever been rubbing lower housing on engine

hard to shift (the problem)and i noticed the shift link was hitting the lower cowl on the the engine below the intake # 24 in the service manual THROTTLE LEVER AND SIFT SHAFT it was pretty loose so i checked and the nut in the roller guide was loose i tightened it up,how close does the lever run to the lower cowl mine has about 1/16 of a inch room,is it bent or do they run that close to the lower cowl housing also can that shift link be replaced easy thanks guys,seems to shift better now that i tightened the nut up but that lever is right on the lower housing

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    By "nut in the roller guide"- are you referring to the nut under the intake, or the one where the cable attaches?

The nut at the cable attachment point should be snugged, then backed off about 1 turn (so as to permit the plastic washer to rotate, and allow the cable end to move on the stud).

Clearance is pretty tight. Easiest way to check that arm is to remove the port lower cowling, remove the arm, and check it on a flat surface. Other than the obvious "z" shape at the cable end... it should be flat.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    thanks don,its the nut on the cable attachment,if it is bent can i straighten it or just buy a new one,yes its close right now thanks

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Book answer: Replace it.

Reality: Better straightened from a minor warp (than still bent). Caused (as mentioned) by shifting when engine is not running.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    thanks don, i just bought the boat and going over everything,looks like two different part number for the shift link 883142A 2 and ss 883142a03 i need to find the difference or maybe one super seeds the other number thanks for the help

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    883142A03 is the only part number for your engine serial number.