Thread: oil question

oil question

Can anyone tell me the difference between quicksilver premium plus and pennzoil premium plus 2 stroke oil?
    2011 21xrd
    2011 250 Pro XS

2. Member
    I’m not sure exactly the info you want but they are similar but I don’t think anyone knows the formula of each oil. They both meet the specs for most Mercury 2 stroke motors that require a TCW3 oil. Many people here use each of these. Hard to go wrong with a Mercury branded oil that they recommend but also Pennzoil makes a great oil too. Some say Pennzoil smokes less.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I know this seems painfully obvious- but it's simply two different manufacturers, each with their own Synthetic Blend oil for 2-Stroke engines.

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I have ran both but mostly pennzoil prem plus and xlf since around 2002. Even though I just had my eng overhauled for a melted piston crown from a timing issue everything else was fine. This is on my 1998 200 efi premix 40 1 once my break in is done Jay recomended to run xlf . I cant remember if it was a sticky on this sight or another one but there was a breakdown of what additves were in the most popular 2 stroke oils. It was fairly old so a lot could of changed by now
    Justin
    JUSTIN LAWSON
    IL ANG 183FW Retired SMSGT
    1998 ASTRO2000 DC[Hooter Scooter] 200MERC EFI TRO4 23P
    Engine by Jay Smith Racing

5. Member
    There's really no difference. They are both partial synthetic with ashless dispersants (reduction of carbon build-up etc). Premium Plus could be a spec better than Pennzoil . I run Penn cuz it is more affordable and is recommended for all injector systems.

6. Member
    Penn. has less ash content = less carbon build up than Merc I suggest the XLF Penn to all my steel sleeved engine customers 40:1 on 2.5’s , works for me ...

Jay
    JSRE
    www.jaysmithracingengines.com
    832 597 2603 cst