Swivels on Jigging Spoon

Do you use swivels on your jigging spoons? I have several spoons that came with them on there, but others (like cotton cordell and Hopkins) do not come with them. I don't have any issues with line twist using the ones without swivel, but just curious if you add swivels to them.

I don't use them in open water a lot, use a lot of smaller ones through the ice with no swivel. I realize that isn't quite the same thing, but to me if you're not having issues with line twist then no need to add a swivel. In my mind it seems like you get a better fluttering action where they'll go randomly out one direction or another without a swivel.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

I always run a Sampo swivel on a Hopkins spoon.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    I always use a high quality ball bearing swivel about 12-14 inches above the jigging spoon to help with line twist. Also use a lower lb test fluorocarbon leader line so that in the case of a bad snag the line will break between the swivel and spoon.

5. Member
    I always use a swivel. You will be dealing with terrible line twists if you don't.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I always run a Sampo swivel on a Hopkins spoon.

Agree!
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

7. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limitlong View Post
    I always use a swivel. You will be dealing with terrible line twists if you don't.
    ^^^^^^^^^ YES, WHAT HE SAID ^^^^^^^^^^^
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

8. Member
    I heard a guy say to use one on the hook end. A bass thrashing around and repeatedly hitting his face on a spoon can pry it from his mouth. The swivel seams like it may help. Just kinda learning spoon fishing this year so cant say I gotta lot of experience yet. I do use WarEagle spoons that have s swivel already most of the time