Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Helix 10-Ram Mount

I upgraded my helix 7 to a helix 10 for the console unit. I had the helix 7 on a Ram mount C size. I know the D size is recommended for the helix 10 but will the C support it enough? The helix will only be on when on the water. Im hoping to avoid drilling anymore holes in the boat for the D base plate.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miahjohn View Post
    I upgraded my helix 7 to a helix 10 for the console unit. I had the helix 7 on a Ram mount C size. I know the D size is recommended for the helix 10 but will the C support it enough? The helix will only be on when on the water. Im hoping to avoid drilling anymore holes in the boat for the D base plate.
    No and there are much better options than the Ram for Helix 10. Balzout for one.
    Last edited by Pelican; 12-09-2019 at 08:37 AM.

3. Banned
    Depends on where, and in what conditions you fish. On my aluminum tiller I did the same upgrade and the smaller Ram served me well. I also have a 12 on the bigger ball ram and it works fine to. I like the fact I can swivel the unit to the floor on the bow for those punishing runs.

There will be a lot of naysayers about Ram on here but they have worked for me. There are some boats and places nothing else will work.

I would give it a try and see what happens.

4. Member
    I have an 898c - in-between the two you are using. It's on a RAM C. If I know we are going to be running rough, I also just rotate it down to the floor.

A lot of guys won't want to do that. I didn't want to drill new holes in an older, wood decked boat.
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

5. Member
    I ran a 10 on the smaller mount it worked ok . With that said I run electric lakes so no pounding waves.

6. Member
    From the Humminbird site

If the unit has physical damage like a cracked or broken display, please call us for a quote. This would not be handled under the standard service charge.
    They list a fee to service a unit and I am guessing that would be a minimum charge.

HELIX 10 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G2N $310.45

Just installed the above unit with an existing D size Ram mount on my boat.

Heavy unit, I would not trust a C size Ram setup.

Just my 2 cents.

7. Member
    I use the Ram Swing Arm Mount. No movement.

Ram Swing Arm Mount.jpg

8. Member
    I've got the one pictured above out of package, never installed will sell you for $40

9. Member
    I am a naysayer unfortunately. I have 3 helix units, I put them all on Ram ball mounts, and I get pissed at myself every time I put my boat in the water because of it. If I never had to take them on or off and I never hit any waves or boat wakes they would be more than fine. I take mine off every time I get off the water and it's such a pain. They never stay put either in waves. They're also not much cheaper than some of the other better mounts out there.

10. Member
    I take mine off every time I get off the water and it's such a pain.
    They're also not much cheaper than some of the other better mounts out there

Which mount do you find that is easier to remove after each trip?

I am always looking for something easier and better.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post

Which mount do you find that is easier to remove after each trip?

I am always looking for something easier and better.

Thanks
    The Johnny Ray swivel mount is the easiest. Just push the bottom and the mount separates.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

12. Member
    Have had balzout, kong,ram ball, and ram swing arm and Cisco. The ram swing arm is a great and sturdy mountfor the console. Not too bad to take off after each trip. I have the Cisco mount on my bow with a 12" solix. It is every bit as sturdy as the kong or balzout but it adjusts a lot easier than the other 2. Don't need to turn any knobs or tools to stick in holes on the knobs to tighten or loosen. Just unscrew the 2 screws by hand and you can remove the mount along with head unit very easy

13. Member
    The helix 10 arrived today...i don't see the Ram C holding this thing up! Guess I'll need to shop around.

14. Member
    You have to really crank it down! That’s why I ended up getting the next ball size up.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    You have to really crank it down! That’s why I ended up getting the next ball size up.
    The Ram D is looking good. The price of the other mounts is stupid!

16. Member
    Depending where your unit is mounted, you could do what I did. It only cost a few dollars and your unit will NOT move at all. Here is a link to my previous post. It is post #12 and it has photos
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....=#post10581866
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    Depending where your unit is mounted, you could do what I did. It only cost a few dollars and your unit will NOT move at all. Here is a link to my previous post. It is post #12 and it has photos
    It's Brilliant! Lol...

This block is made just for that:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/The_...page-TPSG.html

Still will not keep the display from moving in rough water. Seen that type used dozens of times on Guntersville and Lake Fork. If you have a foot throttle, you can keep you hand on the display to keep it from falling over when the water is rough.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    This block is made just for that:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/The_...page-TPSG.html

Still will not keep the display from moving in rough water. Seen that type used dozens of times on Guntersville and Lake Fork. If you have a foot throttle, you can keep you hand on the display to keep it from falling over when the water is rough.
    That is very interesting. I have never seen that one. I have been on Toledo Bend, Rayburn and Falcon in the roughest water you can be in, except for maybe the Great Lakes and mine does NOT budge at all, not even the screen. It looks like theirs is held in place by zip ties. My bracket is held in place using the Ram’s bolt and knob. You can also swivel it out of the way too when you loosen the nut,however, I never move mine. I set it up exactly where I wanted it and cut my L bracket to the exact length I needed. I keep it in the same place every time. You can adjust the screen left to right if you want. I think everything cost me 5 or 6 bucks and a little bit of time cutting the bracket and rounding the corners.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

That is very interesting. I have never seen that one. I have been on Toledo Bend, Rayburn and Falcon in the roughest water you can be in, except for maybe the Great Lakes and mine does NOT budge at all, not even the screen. It looks like theirs is held in place by zip ties. My bracket is held in place using the Ram’s bolt and knob. You can also swivel it out of the way too when you loosen the nut,however, I never move mine. I set it up exactly where I wanted it and cut my L bracket to the exact length I needed. I keep it in the same place every time. You can adjust the screen left to right if you want. I think everything cost me 5 or 6 bucks and a little bit of time cutting the bracket and rounding the corners.
    You did a good job of duplicating the function of the Shock Block.
    When I used that person's boat, I used one of my 1198's in place of his 998 and put a tennis ball under the mount arm. He has the C size mount, and I have both the C and D.
    I already had some tennis balls that were strays from a nearby tennis court, I just used some plastic ties to hold the ball on the mount arm, I guess the cost for me was the two ties---maybe 10 cents.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast