Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
You did a good job of duplicating the function of the Shock Block.
When I used that person's boat, I used one of my 1198's in place of his 998 and put a tennis ball under the mount arm. He has the C size mount, and I have both the C and D.
I already had some tennis balls that were strays from a nearby tennis court, I just used some plastic ties to hold the ball on the mount arm, I guess the cost for me was the two ties---maybe 10 cents.
Wayne,
Tennis balls!!!! Now that’s some thinking out of the box. I never would have thought of that and I’m sure that helped a lot. I guess I just over engineered mine. I never really had any issues til I mounted my Solix 15 on the Ram mount. That’s when I started having issues in rough water. It worked fine with my 1198 but the 15” Solix wouldn’t stay in place. That’s why I engineered something to lock it down completely. The only potential issue I can see with the Shock Block or a tennis ball is you could still get some “bounce” with the arm still moving up and down some. That may be why the screens still move some in rough water like you mentioned previously. I think the only change I would make to mine is to reverse the rubber stopper. It is tapered and I have the small side touching the deck and I would rather have the larger side touching the deck. However, my “prototype” has worked so well that I have never bothered changing it. I probably would have just bought a “Shock Block” had I known about it but I’m happy how mine turned out so I guess all is good. However, I may have to upgrade to 1/2” stainless steel when Humminbird comes out with their 26” screen.