Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ckempo View Post
    basset hound. get it "bass"et hound, ha,haha
    I can't believe it took 40 posts. Good one.

Chessie one once went swimming in the Chesapeake bay for over two hours trying to get a wounded duck in a competition
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Nile ( GSP) loved sitting in my boat when I was working in the shop. I just never took him on the water, he would jump out at WOT.
    Don't mean to high jack the thread, but how is your GSP for shedding in general? I had a lab for 14 years and loved her to death, but she shed like crazy. My kids are pushing me for another dog and I have always liked the looks and temperament of GSPs.

4. Member
    x2
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

5. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madmurph View Post
    I don't believe that there is a good or bad breed to take in the boat on fishing outings. It's a matter of having the dog trained and under enough control to keep the outing enjoyable.
    Yep... Love the one you're with.

RIP, Deets, my pal.
    Who controls John Gill?

I agree with Idaho Sandman, any dog with the proper training. If you struggle with training, seek help and you will be rewarded with a dog who is a pleasure to take with you.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    Would love to take my black lab. However with them gators everywhere...not gonna chance it!
    That is what the LifeVest is for; "quick extraction". The only time I have worried is when I can see the Nile Crocodile out back. They are aggressive and way quicker than it's American cousin. It also will make a bee line towards the boat if You get near them.

IMG_3755.jpg

Also if You get a Weimaraner, chances are You can teach em to run the trolling motor

This dog loves her Ranger. She lets me use every once in a while.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

This dog loves her Ranger. She lets me use every once in a while.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

10. Member
    I want to take our lab but she loves to fetch. First time I took her pond fishing, she wanted to go after the lure! And then caught a bass and when it jumped off the hook at the water edge, she jumped in after it!
    Sean Fullerton

~~2022 Skeeter FXR20 Limited~~
    Yamaha SHO 250
    Helix 12
    Mega 360
    MegaLive
    Raptors

https://www.youtube.com/ruggedoutdoors

Had an English setter that loved to go, but he would watch every cast like it was a quail!! Also the only dog I have ever seen that could not swim, he would sink like a rock. Weird and I tried for years to get him to learn from the bank. I pulled him up every time he was in where he couldn’t touch the bottom. Not a good boat dog.
    next dog was a Newfoundland. 150# water dog, now he could swim and every time I would start to ignore him off the back of the boat he would go. No way to pull a soaking wet dog of that size back into the boat. To the bank I would go and load him back up that way. He was a great dog but not in a boat.
    Vexus DVX19

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdSVT View Post
    I used to take my beagle out in my dads strato when I was a kid. When the boat was on pad she stood right in the bow ears a flapping. As soon as I would shut it down she go to the back dexk and lay down and pout lol
    I had a beagle that lived for 17 years. I took that dog everywhere with me. She would do the same thing as far as riding up on the front deck. Most times though, she rode under the console. Lots of good advice in this thread. And now I miss my beagle!!! RIP Rossi.....

13. triton
    I'm partial to English Setters, just be sure to keep him clipped during the summer months ....

CARL MAYER
    SKEETER FX20 2016
    BARRYVILLE NY 12719

2023 FORD RAPTOR

Quote Originally Posted by wstutts View Post
    How does he handle the heat. I had a Sheltie and he could not handle the heat. Almost lost him due to the heat and from then on I would take him in the spring and fall.
    He lays under the console when he gets hot. He has water bowl and I put a blanket over the console so he is in the shade. He goes swimming with me if we get too hot.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wstutts View Post
    How does he handle the heat. I had a Sheltie and he could not handle the heat. Almost lost him due to the heat and from then on I would take him in the spring and fall.
    My favorite was a sheltie. We gave him what was called a puppy cut ( keep his hair short ) and he did good even at Colorado river in AZ in summer. Just have to make sure he can get little shade now and then. Have had some great Labs over the years, but that dang sheltie had the best personality of them all. And he adored my oldest son.
    I miss that dog very much!
    Semper Fi

17. Member
    IMG_20191119_102615.jpg
    My 14 month old lab is turning out to be pretty good bass boat dog.
    2021 caymas cx21

18. Member
    I cant keep my lab in the boat. A friend of mine taught his Lab to not chase the lures using this method... He parked the boat on the trailer in his yard, disconnected the truck. He put his dog on the deck with him and tied, no hook, a soft plastic dipped in hot sauce and pitched it off the boat. The dog chased it and got a mouthful of hot sauce. 3 or 4 times and now he doesn't chase the lure.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ckempo View Post
    basset hound. get it "bass"et hound, ha,haha
    I was getting ready to ask if anyone on here has ever fished in a bass boat with a Bassett hound. My wife and I used to have one back before I had a bass boat. Any pics of one in a bass boat would make her day.

20. Member
    Brings back memories. I've had beagles but could never get them in the boat. Beau was scared of water. When he was a puppy, 4-6 months old I took him for a walk on my friends 300 acres of pasture and woods mix just so he could explore. Explore he did...when we got near the pond, he kept right on going like he could walk on water. I thought he was gonna drown but I let him swim back and he had no problem. However, from that day on he would not go near any water. If we were rabbit hunting and he had to cross a creek...if he couldn't find a place to jump it, the chase was over. Spot and Trouble had too much hunt in their blood. Take 'em fishing at the river, as soon as the door opens they were in hunt mode. Neither one would pay me any attention fishing. They were dam good hunters. If they got on a deer...you've heard that beagles wont run them long...not these two, they would run them out of hearing. I'd come back later that day or the next, there they would be waiting on me. None of the beagles I've had liked any type of moving vehicle, so a boat trip was out of the question. It must be awesome to have one go with you in the boat.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast