Converting Oil Bath to Grease Hubs

I've got a 2004 Ranger Trailer and I'm tired of the oil bath hubs and milky oil, would like to just switch to grease filled. Does anyone know if Ranger carries a direct hub replacement or would I be better off going through a trailer parts distributor? I'd also like to upgrade my rims to something more modern like the attached link and I believe grease filled will provide more options. Appreciate any help.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=982893

2. Member
    Grease or oil, they are the same hubs. You can just pack those with grease after changing the seal and cleaning everything up. Will also need a new "Grease cap". Do you have torsion axles? 2004 should be UFP if torsion. You could replace the entire control arm/ spindle with "Vault" hubs which are hybrid grease and carry warranty.

3. Member
    I converted to grease on my 2000 Rangertrail. It had the tap in caps that I was able to get from Tractor Supply,I think they were 2 3/16” OD. The later models had threaded caps though,not sure about yours.

I converted my hubs from oil to grease. I ordered the vortex hubs from ranger. Were pretty good price wise. The only problem with converting is the oil hubs dont have a zerk fitting to grease the entire hub. If you convert you will have to pack the bearings by hand. I now use the the converted hub as a back up on long trips.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

5. Member
    The only hub ranger sells as of this year for my 2006 was a vortex. They do have bearings, race, and seals for the oil bath or grease.

You can covert and buy a new cap that has the buddy bearing zerk fitting on it. Buddy Bearing makes one that is threaded and fits the hubs.

6. Member
    I have a 2002 Ranger Trail trailer and converted from oil to grease. I took everything apart on the hubs cleaned them and packed the bearings with grease and put them back together. I then removed the oil fill set screw and put in a grease fitting and filled with grease until the grease started to come out from around the washer at the front of the hub. Took the grease fitting out and put the set screw back in, put buddy bearings on and greased until the plunger barely moved. Ran all last year with no problems.

7. Member
    The outer hub for the cap should be 2.33 if it is the same inner and outer bearing, as what it should be in 2004 with UFP. FYI