Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rod thread color help

I'm needing to wrap a couple of eyes on a G. Loomis NRX. It is the newer blue color wraps. Can anyone recommend the color to use? I had read it was Gudebrode Blue Dunn and have tried that on a test stick but it is not close. I also tried a few other colors with no luck. Anyone figured this out?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Netweid1 View Post
    I'm needing to wrap a couple of eyes on a G. Loomis NRX. It is the newer blue color wraps. Can anyone recommend the color to use? I had read it was Gudebrode Blue Dunn and have tried that on a test stick but it is not close. I also tried a few other colors with no luck. Anyone figured this out?
    Give them a call and they will tell you what it is. It might be proprietary but doesn't hurt to ask.

The ProWrap Colorfast Teal (404) is really, really close. I re-wrapped a guide for a buddy and used it...while you could tell the difference if you held them side-by-side (comparing the new guidewrap after it was epoxied to the remnants I removed), it was nearly impossible to tell on the rod where there is spacing between the guides.

In full disclosure, I just looked back at my orders to see when I ordered this thread: It was ordered November, 2017 so there is at least some chance that the color has changed a bit.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    The ProWrap Colorfast Teal (404) is really, really close. I re-wrapped a guide for a buddy and used it...while you could tell the difference if you held them side-by-side (comparing the new guidewrap after it was epoxied to the remnants I removed), it was nearly impossible to tell on the rod where there is spacing between the guides.

In full disclosure, I just looked back at my orders to see when I ordered this thread: It was ordered November, 2017 so there is at least some chance that the color has changed a bit.
    I ordered several more pro wrap colors yesterday and teal was one, also ordered Maui, island lagoon and summer sky....I have already tried several others that did not turn out well.

Did you use CP on the teal?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Give them a call and they will tell you what it is. It might be proprietary but doesn't hurt to ask.
    I couldn't get them on the phone but I do have an email in to them asking.....

I ordered several more pro wrap colors yesterday and teal was one, also ordered Maui, island lagoon and summer sky....I have already tried several others that did not turn out well.

Did you use CP on the teal?
    I did not. It darkened up very slightly from what it was before epoxy.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

7. Member
    Well, Loomis replied to my email today. They said it was "blue dunn"- however I purchased that first and it is NOT close. The original blue dunn must have been a much different shade. I even ordered the correct old stock name brand (Gudebrode) from a "vintage seller" on ebay.

Thanks gentlemen for your assistance.
    Last edited by Netweid1; 12-09-2019 at 04:06 PM.

8. Member
    I bought Mud Holes color chart book last year. Wish I would of done it earlier. It has been a big help with matching colors

9. Goby King
    The Gudebrod blue Dunn was NCP, not nylon. If you used nylon, that's why it didn't match. Also, Gudebrod was notorious for dye lots not matching. I have 4 of 5 spools of teal nylon that aren't even close to the same color.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shfishinsticks View Post
    The Gudebrod blue Dunn was NCP, not nylon. If you used nylon, that's why it didn't match. Also, Gudebrod was notorious for dye lots not matching. I have 4 of 5 spools of teal nylon that aren't even close to the same color.
    I got the NCP but the color is way off. I figured the lot must just be way off.

11. Member
    Last edited by Netweid1; 12-16-2019 at 09:29 PM.

Did any of the ProWrap colors you ordered match up? Guessing not since you're bumping the thread back up.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

13. Member
    What about the Blue Dunn color in nylon with the use of CP? Nylon with cp and colorfast look very different even in the same color. Colorfast is a painted look and nylon with cp is a sheen classy looking at a pic online it appears whatever color they use it is nylon with no color preserver and not colorfast because the look is more transluscent. If it turns too dark use a lighter hade color.

DG

14. Goby King
    The NRXs I've repaired were wrapped with NCP Blue Dunn. The problem is likely the dye lots not matching coupled with the age of the rod, as in the finish is yellowing, creating a different look than a fresh wrap with clear finish.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Did any of the ProWrap colors you ordered match up? Guessing not since you're bumping the thread back up.
    I have several colors suppose to arrive this week. I believe the yellowing of the finish is making it a little more difficult to match up.

16. Member
    I will report back when I get the new order and try to load a pic or two.

17. Member
    Here is the gudebrod blue dunn spool beside the rod that is trying to be matched.
    20191207_151042.jpg

18. Member
    This is the blue dunn wrapped..20191207_151046.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

19. Member
    My new threads should be in soon...

This is the blue dunn wrapped..20191207_151046.jpg
    Pretty obvious difference. Way more “blue” I think, if that makes any sense. Haha

Following this one. Good luck!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast