Planning a trip to Okeechobee, looking for advice

I'm planing a trip to the north end of Lake Okeechobee in Feb. I've never been on a Florida lake or river and need some help. I'm use to fishing highland reservoirs in Ky where depth can reach 250 ft or more, depending on which lake you go to. I'm not dead-set on fishing Okeechobee, I wouldn't mind to fish something within an hour or less of the north end.
    Where should I start looking? How accurate is the map card in my Lowrance units for Florida lake & rivers? How is the fishing in the rim canal or adjacent canals? Moving baits or just stick with pitching & flipping? Thanks for any advice!

Lake is currently under 13ft. By feb it most likely will be around 11ft depending on weather (we are in the dry season now). If you dont know where to go or navigate the "O" you could do some damage...especially around indian prairie and J&S. Probably better to get a guide. Just my 2 cents.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    Lake is currently under 13ft. By feb it most likely will be around 11ft depending on weather (we are in the dry season now). If you dont know where to go or navigate the "O" you could do some damage...especially around indian prairie and J&S. Probably better to get a guide. Just my 2 cents.
    Thank you. Any suggestions on a guide?

Quote Originally Posted by kyhunter35 View Post
    Thank you. Any suggestions on a guide?
    Tom Mann Jr is the guide to contact . Great and knowledgeable bass fisherman on Big O. Even better guy. I know the lake after spending the last 4 January's on the lake and I won't be there this January because of the water level and concern I could tear up my lower unit. Okeechobee has a lot of rock bottom and even knowing the lake , the lake is tricky to navigate at less than 13' level. Kissimmee / Toho would be a good choice . Maybe better fishing now and much easier to navigate with less chance of damaging your boat. Just my opinion.
    Rob Campbell - (2015) 21 Skeeter Fxi

5. Member
    2nd on Tom mann

6. Member
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB