Lowrance/Garmin dilemma...

I just purchased a new to me used boat that came rigged with some Garmin Electronics. It has a 7610xsv and 7608xsv at the console and a 93sv at the bow. My conundrum comes from that I kept my Lowrance system from my last boat. I have a Carbon 16 with totalscan and a HDS Gen3 12 with HDI transducer.

Which would you go with? I’ve never used Garmin, but am open to it. Which is better? Pros and cons of either?

Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    Why not try the garmins out for a couple trips and see if you like them.then you can decide.

3. Banned
    Honestly it's going to come down to which transducers are on the Garmin's as to what kind of experience you'll have with them.

That being said, from experience, your Lowrance units will provider a better side/down image over the Garmin's. It'll be close if you have a GT50 transducer in the rear, if it's a GT52 the imaging is garbage. 2D goes to the Garmin though.

I think the interface/menu system is better on Lowrance.

I run Garmin 7600 series units, btw.

4. Member
    That's my plan, but our weather is super hit or miss right now. I figured there are some guys on here that would have more insight that have ran both. I'm not an electronics wizard by any means.

Is one set worth more used that the other? I will check the transducers when I home tonight.

Run both side by side. I have 4 units 3 brands, use the best of each every time out
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Garmin for reliability and customer service. Very easy to use. The Gt 50 is the Shizo! The gt 52 is no slouch. The CV 52 is the one most complain about. Throw Panoptics on the bow and your set. Sell the Lowrance stuff and update the Garmin units if needed.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

7. Member
    If you keep the Lowrance, I’d for sure upgrade from total scan to the AI 3-1 or SS3d ducer. They are both much better than totalscan imo

8. Member
    If you decide to sell the Garmins let me know.

9. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    I make the decision easier for ya. I’ll give you $500 for the 16.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    I make the decision easier for ya. I’ll give you $500 for the 16.

Oh sir, you are a true gentleman with that gracious offer!

11. Banned
    Sell garmins and buy 3d. Lowrance doesn’t lie. No idea about new live/panoptix stuff, panopticon looks sweet but doubt I’d ever use it. Don’t see it blazing trail on tournament scene either

12. Member
    Is there a way to tell which transducers these are? I’ve tried to upload pics, but they’re too big...

13. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Garmin usually has a tag close to the pin end with model and serial number. If no tag would need to see pics. If you want you can email them to me and I'll take a look.

jnsonnier31@gmail.com
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

14. Member
    Email sent! There’s no tags on the ones I can see. The other is in dash. Haven’t gotten all up in er yet.

15. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Got it...The one on TM would be the GT52; transom looks to possibly be the GT50. Another way to be fore sure is turn on the units and it will show up on the screen as to which ducer is connected to it. Has to be on a sonar screen.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

16. Member
    Awesome. Thanks! I will check that out when I get a minute.

Moved from Lowrance to Garmins this year, no comparison, Lowrance is behind
    2019 BassCat Puma FTD, Honda 250, Croxton Razor 4XL,Garmin Force, Power Pole Blades & Charge, Atlas JP, Ionic 36v Lithium, K2 Energy Lithium NoCo GenPro10x1, All Garmin Electronics with PanOptics LiveScope

jefflhoman.com

18. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    Sell garmins and buy 3d. Lowrance doesn’t lie. No idea about new live/panoptix stuff, panopticon looks sweet but doubt I’d ever use it. Don’t see it blazing trail on tournament scene either
    I'm glad there is alot of people like you that think this way. ��
    In all honesty I've had all 3 major brands. At this point Garmin is my favorite. Then again everyone's wants and needs are different. Garmin just seems to suit me better.

19. Member
    The more I tinker with these, the more I like Garmin, however, I don't want to get addicted to them and have to pay their prices! lol