13 Fishing Concept C owners

Looking at a possible purchase of one these reels for the 1st time...assuming there are several gens since coming out...how to tell on the reel? Specific techniques you prefer to use them for? Any other positive/negative thoughts appreciated as well...thanks!

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

I'm not sure that there are separate generations, someone else may be able to help there.

As for the reel, they're great for just about anything you want to use them for. I think they're comparable to others in the $200 class out of the box if not a little on the rougher side (that's not the best way to describe it, they're not rough by any stretch, just not quite as buttery as some of the options out there), but where they really shine is in their longevity.

To illustrate: my dad is harder on equipment than anyone I've ever met. He fishes at least 100 days per year (probably more) and has an arsenal of these. He still has every one of them he's ever bought, and I can just about guarantee none of them have been cleaned or re-lubed the entire time he's had them. He got a couple when they first came out which would put them at 4-5 years old and still fishing damn near as good as a new one.

I've got one that I fish chatterbaits on. It won't skip as well as a Tatula SV, but it will outcast one (and actually outcasts the Tatula Type Rs that I have as well). I'm very pleased with it. For what it's worth, I'm an unapologetic Daiwa fanboy.

If you're someone who's meticulous about cleaning and lubing reels, I'm not sure that they are necessarily the best bang for the buck (assuming full retail so it's apples to apples). If you're someone who doesn't usually clean and lube reels or who puts them through their paces between cleanings, I think they're just about as good as you can do.

(Once again, I want to be clear: I'm not saying that they are not smooth, not by any stretch. They're just not *quite* as buttery smooth as some others at the price point...and that difference generally reverses after heavy use without servicing)
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    I’ve have had a Concept C for probably 4-5years myself and I know it’s 2nd Gen. Not sure how many things have changed on the new ones or what the current gen is but the only difference between the 1st and 2nd generations was the side plate to access the internal brake dial is hinged(the first gen wasn’t and if not clicked in place properly you could cast it into the drink). I have mine on a 7’ square bill rod. Handles the baits very well (SK 1.5-2.5, Mann’s 1 Minus, DT-4, Mid-Warts). I’ve fished it with Mono and flouro and I don’t baby it. I’ve frogged with a concept A also for probably 4 years and I’m impressed how well it’s held up for how much abuse it takes on that setup. The C is definitely a step up from the A in smooth and lighter baits.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

I have 1 C and several As. My C is a gen 1 and to be honest if I was to go out and buy another today it would be an A.

5. Member
    I know they changed the beetle wing system (be that they added it) somewhere in the production... no complaints about mine when I had it, good reel, tons of drag. I do agree that it's not as butter smooth as a shimano or daiwa however

6. Member
    Love mine. Not butter smooth, but it is smooth and it reels in easy or "light". Like noted above, casts a mile. I use mine for casting jigs. Great drag, it pulls everything out of the thickest cover with no complaints.