Z6 repower 115 g2 HO or 115 pro xs ?

Anyone have experience with these motors on a z6 ?

2. Member
    Most Z6 boats were sold with a 115 Opti ProXS. The current 115 ProXS four stroke is about the same weight and will give excellent performance on that hull.
    It should give marginally better fuel economy as well. The 115 Opti was good on fuel to begin with. The 115 PXS four stroke is also available in a Command Thrust model.That replaces the lower unit with a 150 gear case and allows for running a larger diameter prop. It is the setup of choice on the Z17 and gives it low to mid 50s top end. A CT model is only a couple hundred more than a standard model. For the increase of acceleration and better handling it's a no brainer. The Evinrude isn't a bad choice if you are still into two strokes. It won't save you any weight or give you any better performance. It will be economical and quieter than any old school two stroke. It will requre a complete set of new controls however and definitely more expensive. I used to be a 2 stroke fan, but Mercury's four strokes changed my perspective.

3. Member
    Another perspective is to look at the availability of service providers of the brands you are considering. I see you are in Australia. From what read and hear, isn't Evinrude popular there, hence service providers more prevalent? Just a thought.

There were some (not all) Z6s rated for 135 in the US. There is also a 135 in both options. Have you thought about one of these?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Since the OP is in Australia I would recommend the motor that has the best dealer support in your area. In America the overwhelming majority of Nitro's have a Mercury on the back. For several years Nitro has had a deal with Mercury where they are the exclusive supplier of motors on new boats. Since the OP is doing a re-power and I am not familiar with support he has in his country my advice is go with whichever motor has the best support system in your area.

Another thing to take into consideration is what brand motor is currently rigged on the boat. If it's already rigged for a Mercury and you go to an Evinrude there will be extra expense because the controls will need to be changed to Evinrude controls.