May be in need of new lower unit, where to buy OEM.

Hit a submerged tree or other unknown object. Doing about 35 mph in 140' of water when boat suddenly lurched forward as if we had hit a sand bar, muffled metallic clinking sound and the motor shut off. Previous owner swapped out the OEM lower unit with a SEI lower unit. Should I need a new lower unit, who has the best price on an OEM unit? Have no interest in putting a non OEM unit back on it. When I search online, all I can come up with are SEI units being advertised or used units on ebay, etc.

2006 Ranger 519VX
    2006 Mercury 200 HP Optimax (1B276934)

Thanks,
    Brian

SEI is junk but they do have a 3 yr unlimited warranty if I remember correctly. I bet Don could give you a pretty good deal and you're probably close enough to go pick it up and save the shipping.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    SEI is junk but they do have a 3 yr unlimited warranty if I remember correctly. I bet Don could give you a pretty good deal and you're probably close enough to go pick it up and save the shipping.
    I checked on their warranty to see what the exclusions and/or requirements would be. I am not the original purchaser nor do I have the original receipt. Do they stand behind their warranty for the unit if I am not the original buyer?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Probably not going to help you if not original purchaser.

See Rhonda’s post at the top of the forum- if you drop her an email she can set you up with special pricing on an OEM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Probably not going to help you if not original purchaser.

See Rhonda’s post at the top of the forum- if you drop her an email she can set you up with special pricing on an OEM.
    Thanks for the info. I have no expectations that they would employ their warranty on a non-original owner. Will see what the dealer says after they assess it this week and will go from there. If the lower unit is the issue, any issues that its' failure could affect the motor/powerhead? Just wanting to avoid any surprises.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not normally... but it would be wise to check the powerhead just to be sure. Doesn't take much to be able to run it (minus the dead gearcase) and do a compression test.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Not normally... but it would be wise to check the powerhead just to be sure. Doesn't take much to be able to run it (minus the dead gearcase) and do a compression test.

Thanks sir. They plan on dropping the lower unit and will go from there. Will touch base with Rhonda if it is the lower unit. Greenville is close enough for me to come and pick one up.

8. Member
    Might want to also check the Swap and Sell boards for a good used replacement.

9. Member
    I'm on my second SEI, first one only lasted twice as long as the original Merc unit. I'm still ahead by at least $1000. I tried to go back to a Merc lower but the used on I got almost trashed when purchased.

10. Member
    Lower unit ended up being locked up. I was able to pick one up from a local distributor and get it installed this afternoon. Took it out for a little over an hour this afternoon to break it in. So, still headed to Lake Seminole tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the input.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

European Marine!!!!!! I bought mine from Don and Rhonda this year. Perfect service, if backordered they communicate with you keep you updated.