Banned

Big thanks to everyone who came to Patoka today...

To help build the fish structures. Lot more people showed up today than I thought would. Not sure but I’d say we had around 50 or so show up. Excellent turn out. I’m not sure how many pallet fish structures we built today, but it was a ton of them. Hope they make some good structure for the little guys to survive this coming spawn. Wish I would have taken some pics of things today. If anyone took pics today, please post here please. Thanks all!!

Was this with the state?

I'm hoping they will do Salamonie and Missy at some point both to benefit crappie and bass.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    Was this with the state?

I'm hoping they will do Salamonie and Missy at some point both to benefit crappie and bass.
    Yeah I believe so. It took a lot of donations of pallets and supplies by fisherman to make it happen. Be awesome to do this every year. Hopefully we can

4. Indiana Bass Club Moderator sc419795's Avatar
    So what did you use for a weight on the pallet? Did you also include any type of water bottle/floatation strapped to the pallet? Did you chain/strap multiple pallets together, or just randomly sink in the same vicinity? Asking for a friend.
    Steve
    2006 Sylvan Expedition Sport
    2006 Yamaha F150 TXR s/n 63P L 1041829

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sc419795 View Post
    So what did you use for a weight on the pallet? Did you also include any type of water bottle/floatation strapped to the pallet? Did you chain/strap multiple pallets together, or just randomly sink in the same vicinity? Asking for a friend.
    The process has been explained several times. It was on the DNR website and Facebook page. They have a specific design and build for the structures.....not just "randomly" doing anything

6. Member
    I read the process but never saw how they will get the pallets to the bottom of the lake. Please inform us.
    I have made triangle pallets before with 4 large cinder blocks on each corner. Still floated like a boat.

7. jasonahartz@gmail.com
    I has been a great program and I appreciate all that helped out!

They load them down with concrete blocks and rocks to make them sink.....it takes quite a few.

I received word that all the structures that were built have been placed. Now it is time to gather materials for round 2. If anyone has access to pallets and concrete blocks, rip rap, etc we could definitely use it. The DNR has told us they will keep putting it in as we build them so we need to keep this great thing moving. Contact me with any questions or to learn about logistics.

Thanks
    Jason Hartz

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    Was this with the state?

Joe they are not concerned with the little mud puddles we have up here.

9. Member
    Where did they put all the attractors in Patoka when you still have 3-4000 acres of standing timber and brush as well as brush piles. Looks to me that they should be concentrating more so on the lakes that don’t have cover.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    Where did they put all the attractors in Patoka when you still have 3-4000 acres of standing timber and brush as well as brush piles. Looks to me that they should be concentrating more so on the lakes that don’t have cover.
    We have lost so much of the timber in the lake. I don’t think we have near that much anymore. Most of what we have is just “pole” timber. These structure I believe provide much better cover for fry than a standing telephone pole. Either way it can’t hurt.

I suggest to everyone to get volunteers for your area and lakes. Get pallets and materials donated the best you can. Gather The man power. It’s seems the state is willing to bury it if we get em built. Be nice to see this happening all across the state.

11. Banned
    I'd love to see this happen at Waveland as there is very little offshore structure anymore.. can't imagine the state will ever consider it given how small it is

Last edited by fishinarc; 11-14-2022 at 09:03 AM.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishinarc View Post
    Am I correct in saying that Waveland Reservoir is not a state-owned property? The Patoka-et al structure projects on state properties/reservoirs are held in cooperation with the IDNR, who I don't believe has the final say concerning the management of Waveland-type conservancy projects. Correct me if I am wrong..
    A state law created the Little Racoon Conservancy District who owns the lake and DNR takes care of the fishery.. so I'm gonna guess no... but damn good question
    Last edited by bradjames12; 12-21-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    Joe they are not concerned with the little mud puddles we have up here.
    I actually talked with the dnr project manager, from what they said they do have some interest in doing it. Need more people asking.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere