Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. View Post
    I got a snow shovel for Christmas when I was a kid......and put it to good use making money. Giving without working for it is a real problem, but it's Christmas.
    Dang u old..

I can see me wanting the best for the kids future being a bad thing lol

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    Your older than most people on BBC !!
    lol

We got a restaurant down here for you if you visit.
    https://www.grumpysrestaurantco.com/
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

5. Banned
    There is something wrong with you... but not this....

6. Member
    When you work hard for something, you tend to take care of it. If something is given to you not so much

7. Banned
    I need a good pile on so I figured I would post this on here lol

Christmas being around the corner my wife and I discussed what she was buying for her Nephew ... very well behaved kid in this day and age and I suspect the wrong baby was picked up at the hospital considering the DNA he possesses

Anyways she tells me she was getting him a light up case for all of his watch bands for his Apple Watch

So I go into my old man rant of gezzz kids barely a teenager and has enough bands for his watch that he needs a light up case for them ?. he has an iPhone 11.. PlayStation..Xbox and every other thing made so they are running out of things to buy him

I was fortunate I guess to be able to work a lot when I was in my early teens as my single mother couldn’t buy me a lot of things so I worked myself to get them .. I don’t even like people to give me things now as I prefer to work for them .. maybe that’s wrong of me ?

Are we setting these kids up for failure as adults because they won’t be able to always have the latest and greatest without working for it ? I ask him if he wants to make some money clearing out the garden or raking leaves he looks at me like I’m talking Spanish lol I would have run to get paid to do that as a kid

Best part is now the wife is upset that her mother already ran out to buy the case as they are out of things to buy him

Grumpy old man rant over .. flame away lol
    Very good post and gets 0 out of 10 for rant worthy from me. I’ve plowed my on path since I was 15 and wouldn’t have it any other way.

8. Member
    Jerry you said he was a good kid.......no need to bitch about this. Just let her do her thing.
    Question everything!

I can understand both sides of this. At 52 I just became "dad" to a 13 year old. I never had kids before so this is all new for me. I want to buy her everything to catch up on what I missed out on. Mom says she doesn't need all that stuff and refuses to get her things like a smart phone. She says if we keep buying her things she will get spoiled and never appreciate anything. Bear in mind she has been living with the grandparents for the last 12 years and didn't have much of anything growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by earthworm77 View Post
    Jerry you said he was a good kid.......no need to bitch about this. Just let her do her thing.
    That’s the main issue I have .. Good kid that I am starting to see change in from being spoiled .. Schools starting to slip so I offered to pay for an after school program .. Nope no one wants that except for me and my wife

Guess I should just let him go down the path he is heading .. not my kid not my problem I guess

That’s the main issue I have .. Good kid that I am starting to see change in from being spoiled .. Schools starting to slip so I offered to pay for an after school program .. Nope no one wants that except for me and my wife

Guess I should just let him go down the path he is heading .. not my kid not my problem I guess
    You’re dealing with a lot of the same issues my wife and I are with our nephew.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

12. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    By chance, did this kid and his parents do a Mercedes Benz ad?
    Who controls John Gill?

Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    By chance, did this kid and his parents do a Mercedes Benz ad?
    I think it was Peloton.

14. Member
    Lol I know we spoil our 4 year old, but I doubt we are every going to be able to have another one, so we figure we want to give him a chance and try things that we weren’t able to

I would imagine guys that grew up during the Great Depression would say that subsequent generations are spoiled. I remember my grandpa saying their favorite meal was potatoes and juice. The juice was the water the potatoes were cooked in. The point being, we've got it good.

16. Member
    No rant here but once you get anything you want given to you and then have to get out on your own,it is a hard adjustment. Some adjust It well and some don’t. Each generation has it a little easier. Wonder when that trend will stop? I was lucky with two of my boys. The jury is still out on the third!

17. Member
    No kids cut grass or rake leaves anymore. I guess you did not get the memo...

18. Member
    If they can't fix it with the phone they're lost. NOW GET OFF MY LAWN.

19. Member
    I started working part time in jr.high and full time 40 plus hours a week my senior year in high school. Never really got to be a kid, 63 now. I still think about what I missed.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    Agree Jerry. Kids get a lot more than we used to. What I suspect in a few years hardly any young people will know how to work with their hands. Most now day do not want to get their hands dirty.
    Told by parents "if you don't go to college, you'll end-up sweeping the streets" Skilled Trades aren't even considered by the Enlightened and Sophisticated parents of today!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast