LVS12 style 60 degree transducer?

The LVS12 is great, but I usually don't find myself looking below and out at the same time. Seems to me if they took the 2 30 degree arrays of the LVS12 and stitched them together for a single ~60 degree cone, it would really help eliminate the "dead space" with its current configuration. Maybe it would take too much processing power to stitch them together without a black box? If not... Why not offer a transducer built this way? I know I would use the hell out of it!

2. Member
    There are several improvements Garmin could make with the LVS12 including what you mention. The power required is more likely the issue than processor. The GPSMaps are 1KW and the new Echomaps are 600W. I believe any improvements might be hindered by the Echos 600 watts. Also, as long as there are still buyers for the $1500.00 LVS32........................ Email Garmin and plant the seed. Maybe if enough people ask, they’ll produce.
    If I looked good in spandex and my boats paint had glitter, I’d fish for bass.
    Luckily the Crappie, Stripers and Tuna don’t seem to care.............. BigBry

3. Member
    I don’t see how it would work. The center arrays are missing so there is no dead space view.

Maybe if they put the arrays in the center of the transducer your idea would work?

4. Member
    There is only one array and I'm amazed they can do this much with one array. T he beam steering is done with the pinging of phased array. Just guessing but the pinging capability to get 2-30 degree cones is probably maxed out. My guess is that they could develop software to product 2-30 degree beams pointed differently by changing the timing of the pinging. I don't see them producing something that might lower the sales of the LVS32 system though. Looks like the plan is, if you want more, pay more.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    I don’t see how it would work. The center arrays are missing so there is no dead space view.

Maybe if they put the arrays in the center of the transducer your idea would work?
    That's what I was thinking.

However, if both 30 degree beams are done with one array, then why couldn't they put out software to bring them together?
    I see your point, Lwimchester. But, my thinking with this is: if your beam is 60deg vs the 135deg of the LVS32, you could utilize more screen area to concentrate on a specific part of the water.
    Think of it like a live sidevu with a bottom zoom function.
    It seems to me, the biggest caveat to livescope is the fact that targets appear smaller on it. This would help with identifying targets close to structure/bottom at greater ranges.
    One could argue that the LVS12 already fits the bill, but even when zoomed in, you're not using all of the screen.
    I know... I'm dreaming, but maybe others out there see the utility in this, and maybe, just maybe, garmin will see the potential.

6. Member
    I was just thinking. The Interphase Matrix was the original “Livescope”. It was a West Coast thing and my dad and a few friends had it back in the 90s. I think my dads (rest his soul) is still in a box in my rafters lol. I think Interphase did the software and Airmar did the ducer. I know Garmin acquired the Interphase Tech but maybe not the Airmar stuff. Possibly an infringement with Airmar like the HB, Lowrance, Garmin down/side scan battle, is the issue. That 60 deg you clamber for is awfully similar to the old stuff we used. One of the guys I fished with was an electronics whore and had all the different ducers on his boat and I don’t remember him having a bunch of black boxes for them but that was 20+ years ago and I only have 1/2 my brain left to remember............
    If I looked good in spandex and my boats paint had glitter, I’d fish for bass.
    Luckily the Crappie, Stripers and Tuna don’t seem to care.............. BigBry