Thread: Battery Size

Battery Size

I need to replace my cranking battery this coming spring. I have a 2007 Mercury 200hp Optimax.

I found a Deka Marine Battery that's 1000 cranking / 800 cold cranking. It is a size 24. Some of the larger size 27 and 29 are rated lower cranking.

My question is how does the group size matter? I have been told to get the larger sizes but they have less cranking. I am confused.

2. Banned
    Some are crankers and some are for trolling motors. Group 24’s are usually small crankers. If you have a bunch of graph, you’ll be better off with a big group 31. There’s a list of approved batteries in the Merc pages here, they aren’t cheap; but being stranded with a dead battery would suck too.

Academy carries (usually anyways) a big 31 agm that’s multi-purpose, cost about $200. X2 Power & Oddsey have some real good ones around $400, longer warranty with these. Napa commercial battery (part number BAT 7234) is big enough too and much cheaper, good warranty also. Lots of guys running the Napa battery on the forum.

3. Member
    Reserve capacity on a group 24 is much too small. If you like Deka, the 27 Marine Master (27M6) starting battery will work with 860 cca. Or, like Grout suggests, go to a 31 size. In Deka, a group 31 would have to be an AGM (Intimidator, or Sam's Duracell), or, their commercial battery if staying with wet.

If you want the best battery around right now, look at the Northstar/Batteries Plus X2. Around 400 dollars, but you will be worry free. A good AGM charger is required.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Im using the Excide Megacycle AGM 31 from Academy on my '14 200 Pro XS.....its about 2 yrs old and as of. Ow its been pretty good.....i'll say that my local Academy quit selling Exide and now have Interstate....not sure why they switched....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Im using the Excide Megacycle AGM 31 from Academy on my '14 200 Pro XS.....its about 2 yrs old and as of. Ow its been pretty good.....i'll say that my local Academy quit selling Exide and now have Interstate....not sure why they switched....

I had one of those too and it was really strong, heavy; but a beast of power! I am wondering if the interstate is the same with a diff sticker or what???

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I had one of those too and it was really strong, heavy; but a beast of power! I am wondering if the interstate is the same with a diff sticker or what???
    Wouldn't be the same. Interstate is made by JCI, and Exide is made by Exide Technologies
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S