Wife wants first baitcaster Daiwa SV TW Shimano SLX DC

My wife wants to get her first baitcaster and the Daiwa SV TW and Shimano SLX DC have been mentioned by mostly sales people and a friend. I guess my question is would one of these have fewer backlashes and be easier to get started with. I think she would start throwing the smaller Whopper Ploppers and Square Bills since she has been catching fish with those lures. Thanks for any advice and open to other reels.

2. Member
    The DC would be perfect for her . Easy to set up hassle free casting and she can start a to venture off and loosen the settings on her own when she gets more comfortable.

3. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Both reels do pretty much the same thing but in different ways. Either will work just fine.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

4. Member
    I have both reels and for someone just starting out the Diawa SV TW can be set up where you can hardly get it to backlash and still get some distance out of it. The DC is also a good reel to start out with.

5. Banned
    My girlfriend couldn’t even use a 202 zebco but I got her a tatula sv and she learned to use it almost instantly. No experience with the Shimano.
    Last edited by jbrew73; 12-07-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Had my nephew throwing a dark sleeper this summer on my Steez SV TW on a 7’ MH, aside from that I think the Daiwa Tatula SV does more for a beginner using a casting reel. My only DC was a Curado and did fine for me. Personally the SV spook just helps out more.

7. Member
    My girlfriend had no baitcasting experience and she learned on the Tatula SV TWS with no problems, casting that is. Flipping and pitching we’re still working on lol. Can’t quite get the motion down.
    2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP
    2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS

8. Member
    Thanks everyone for the advice I needed on the reels. I just bought the Tatula SV TW from Tackle Trap a board sponsor for what looked like a good price of $150.00 after there discount and the BBC10 discount.

9. Member
    Good choice but you should have got one for yourself at that price. Good reel. Get yourself the SV SW elite and you won''t have to be jealous of her new reel.

I bought my wife a Daiwa Tatula SV and tricked it out with a bunch of pink aftermarket parts....she loves it!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    I bought my wife a Daiwa Tatula SV and tricked it out with a bunch of pink aftermarket parts....she loves it!
    Wow. Where did you get the pink aftermarket parts? Pink is my daughter's favorite color. The casting rod I had made for her is pink, but the reel on it is a white Chronarch 101A. On second thought...forgetaboutit. I would have to buy another Tat SV as she ain't getting mine. Kidding. I'd buy her one and she would give me the Chronarch back as I can't talk her into a second rod. Or can I get pink dress up parts for the Chronarch. Doubt it as old as the reel is. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by new2BC4bass View Post
    Wow. Where did you get the pink aftermarket parts? Pink is my daughter's favorite color. The casting rod I had made for her is pink, but the reel on it is a white Chronarch 101A. On second thought...forgetaboutit. I would have to buy another Tat SV as she ain't getting mine. Kidding. I'd buy her one and she would give me the Chronarch back as I can't talk her into a second rod. Or can I get pink dress up parts for the Chronarch. Doubt it as old as the reel is. Thanks.
    you can find the parts here https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/

on the left hand side you'll find the tab for "dressup color parts"...click on Daiwa and you'll find the Tatula SV. I changed out the knobs, side plate screws, levelwind cap and guide, the nut for the brake dial and the spool tension knob. Turned out pretty cool. You should be able to see a picture of it in my instagram account under kayak.bass.angler

13. Member

on the left hand side you'll find the tab for "dressup color parts"...click on Daiwa and you'll find the Tatula SV. I changed out the knobs, side plate screws, levelwind cap and guide, the nut for the brake dial and the spool tension knob. Turned out pretty cool. You should be able to see a picture of it in my instagram account under kayak.bass.angler
    Thanks!

14. Member

Really easy to double the original price of the reel just by adding some color!
    Tat SV.jpg
    ​WHY ASK WHY?

15. Member
    My wife learned and lives my Shimano Metanium DC. Granted, it’s a little different setup than the SLX DC but I know that reel would be extremely easy to learn on.the SV spools are decent too but I prefer Shimano.

16. Member
    I would like to get a Shimano DC reel next.