Today's Bible Reading Sunday December 8, 2019

Old Testament

The Second Book of the Kings
    Chapter 15:1-6-8-11-13-15-16

In the twenty-seventh year of Jeroboam king of Israel, Azariah the son of Amaziah, king of Judah, became king. He was sixteen years old when he became king, and he reigned fifty-two years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Jecholiah of Jerusalem. And he did what was right in the sight of the Lord, according to all that his father Amaziah had done, except that the high places were not removed; the people still sacrificed and burned incense on the high places. Then the Lord struck the king, so that he was a leper until the day of his death; so he dwelt in an isolated house. And Jotham the king's son was over the royal house, judging the people of the land.

Now the rest of the acts of Azariah, and all that he did, are they not written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Judah?
    So Azariah rested with his fathers, and they buried him with his fathers in the City of David. Then Jotham his son reigned in his place.

In the thirty-eighth year of Azariah king of Judah, Zechariah the son of Jeroboam reigned over Israel in Samaria six months. And he did evil in the sight of the Lord, as his fathers had done; he did not depart from the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who had made Israel sin. Then Shallum the son of Jabesh conspired against him, and struck and killed him in front of the people; and he reigned in his place.

Now the rest of the acts of Zechariah, indeed they are written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Israel. This was the word of the Lord which He spoke to Jehu, saying, "Your sons shall sit on the throne of Israel to the fourth generation." And so it was.

Shallum the son of Jabesh became king in the thirty-ninth year of Uzziah king of Judah; and he reigned a full month in Samaria. For Menahem the son of Gadi went up from Tirzah, came to Samaria, and struck Shallum the son of Jabesh in Samaria and killed him; and he reigned in his place.

Now the rest of the acts of Shallum, and the conspiracy which he led, indeed they are written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Israel. Then from Tirzah, Menahem attacked Tiphsah, all who were there, and its territory. Because they did not surrender, therefore he attacked it. All the women there who were with child he ripped open.

New Testament

The Epistle to the Hebrews
    Chapter 1:1-14

God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become so much better than the angels, as He has by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

For to which of the angels did He ever say:

"You are My Son,
    Today I have begotten You"?

And again:

"I will be to Him a Father,
    And He shall be to Me a Son"?

But when He again brings the firstborn into the world, He says:

"Let all the angels of God worship Him."

And of the angels He says:

"Who makes His angels spirits
    And His ministers a flame of fire."

But to the Son He says:

"Your throne, O God, is forever and ever;
    A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your Kingdom.

You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness;
    Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You With the oil of gladness more than Your companions."

And:

"You, Lord, in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth,
    And the heavens are the work of Your hands.

They will perish, but You remain;
    And they will all grow old like a garment;

Like a cloak You will fold them up,
    And they will be changed.
    But You are the same,
    And Your years will not fail."

But to which of the angels has He ever said:

"Sit at My right hand,
    Till I make Your enemies Your footstool"?

Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation?
    Last edited by CajunBass; 12-07-2019 at 07:33 AM.