Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clean up in isle 10

Last owner let this aft compartment get a little funky. I'm thinking of removing everything and detailing the area and maybe a coat of epoxy paint. The fuel tank is mostly empty. Any thoughts? Am I opening a can of worms? IMG_20191206_172954256.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Maybe try engine degreaser first before you start taking things apart.

3. Banned
    Yeah I would get some orange blast or any other d-limonene based citrus cleaner, spray it down heavily, let it sit and spray it off.

It's non-toxic, biodegradable and non-alkaline.

4. Member
    Nah, totally do-able! Did the same this year (removed everything, cleaned, repainted, rewired). I used Bilgekote by Interlux to paint the entire bilge. Stuff is awesome!

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1020666
    Last edited by bqtoot; 12-07-2019 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Added link

5. Member
    How’s the rest of the Boat ?

6. Member
    Go for it. I pulled everthing out of mine when I bought it. It looked alot like yours. Degreased the fuel tank on the driveway then tackled the bilge. Looks like new now.

Well . . . It's your vessel. If it were mine, I'd pull it all out and clean/paint as needed.

One thing is for certain: You have some hoses that are in dire need of attention. And it would be far easier to replace them if you remove everything.

As a side note ....... I don't care how smart you are or how much you pay attention to detail. Use your phone and take pictures of EVERYTHING in there before you start as well as when you are in progress. Makes life much easier on reassembly.

8. Member
    I have done it to a couple of boats that buds drop off and want some new electronics or electrical work done , and definitely take pictures, and if possible label the wiring as you disassemble it. I used simple green mixed 50/50 to get the area spotless and during the reassembly I color code the wiring as needed with red or black tape so there is no confusion ever on what goes where, helps out if you are ever having to replace a battery in the dark or poor lighting.

I would be worried about the overall condition of the boat and trailer if the previous owner let the bilge area get that filthy. That’s pure laziness to let it get that dirty without considering cleaning it occasionally.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

10. Member
    It being a new to you boat are you sure there are no leaks from tanks or hoses for it to get that funky?

Open that can now and get it done right. Replace the hoses and anything else that is corroded. Cleaning it all at one time will save time and headaches down the road. The pictures and labels are very important to your sanity when it comes to re-assembly.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hair Jig View Post
    Well . . . It's your vessel. If it were mine, I'd pull it all out and clean/paint as needed.

One thing is for certain: You have some hoses that are in dire need of attention. And it would be far easier to replace them if you remove everything.

As a side note ....... I don't care how smart you are or how much you pay attention to detail. Use your phone and take pictures of EVERYTHING in there before you start as well as when you are in progress. Makes life much easier on reassembly.
    ^^^^^^

13. Member
    Some great advice. The boat is a 2000 Javelin. The rest of the boat is dirty but not like the aft area. Relatively low hours on engine. Did a compression test, all seems ok. Last owner lived on a lake that was more of a big pond and mostly used the trolling motor! 90 hp Johnson. The only other issue is stiff steering, replacing the cable, that is turning to be a pain..

14. mikesxpress
    Lots of rigs that have the fuel tank area inaccessible (Ranger must remove seats) look like that after a couple years. Spray it down with straight Super Clean, soak for 15 minutes, rinse. Go after it again if anything remains. I keep two of these jugs on hand for cleaning everything!
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/SuperClea...5-gal/23752161
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 12-07-2019 at 03:27 PM.

15. Member
    I frode up. lol. I just did the same thing to a procraft. Ripped it all out, painted,new lines,pumps,fittings,and led trouble lights. A lot of work but worth it.

16. Member
    Take it to the car wash spray it with tire cleaner let it set a few minutes and pressure wash it. Do this a coupe times and see what it looks like, then dismantle if your not satisfied.

17. Member
    Satisfaction? Whats that?

Pull out the important stuff like batteries and bring it to the car wash. Spray it down with soap, let it sit, then spray it down with water. (maybe a repeat for certain spots) It'll look like new with a minimum of effort. Replacing hoses etc will be up to you, but easier when the grime is gone.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

Two cups of tide laundry detergent, about a quart of super clean fill the bilge with water until it just start to come up out of the drains. Hook up to your truck and take it for a drive to agitate the cleaner around for a while, take it to the do it self carwash, pull the plug and pressure wash it, repeat if required. Do this before any work is performed, Don't recommend any painting in the bilge as that is a very poor band aid
    This is easy and will be suprized how well it will clean the bilge
    Last edited by lpugh; 12-07-2019 at 06:34 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

20. Banned
    Yeah just go for it... Take the rear compartment lid off and get after it with de-greaser and a power washer. Then take everything out and do it again. As bqtoot said., paint with Interlux bilgekote. My last two (new to me)boats were pretty nasty,they cleaned up nicely with a little effort.

IMG_0462.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

Newest project:

IMG_5452.JPG

IMG_1027.jpg
    Last edited by mxmike; 12-08-2019 at 09:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast