Thread: Sausage

Sausage

Polish. Went with extra marjoram and garlic. A little light on salt. 25# here. My son is in CO so he wants some smoked. His friend will drive it up.

473C0746-3B0F-4EF3-94F7-C4AD8D0E3D27.jpeg

We really need a drooling emoji.

3. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar

4. Member
    That looks good.

5. Member
    Mmm, mmm, those look good. We use to have a, small, hole in the wall, mom and pop kinda store out in the middle of nowhere. They had the best polish sausages I have ever had. We’d stop in on our way home from the lake and grab one every time. They built a new modern store and quit selling them. I have to find one as good as theirs was.

It’s really easy to learn and only takes a couple hours. I have a tube that lets me grind and stuff at the same time. Cut and mix then let it set in the fridge overnight. Get set up and grind the next morning.

My grinder is a 1000 watt Northern Tool I got around 2003 for $90. Works well. They have a 3/4hp one on sale for $80. Probably an updated version of mine. I use it several times a year for sausage. A few more when I get deals on beef or pork. I’m not paying $4+ for ground beef.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    It’s really easy to learn and only takes a couple hours. I have a tube that lets me grind and stuff at the same time. Cut and mix then let it set in the fridge overnight. Get set up and grind the next morning.

My grinder is a 1000 watt Northern Tool I got around 2003 for $90. Works well. They have a 3/4hp one on sale for $80. Probably an updated version of mine. I use it several times a year for sausage. A few more when I get deals on beef or pork. I’m not paying $4+ for ground beef.
    Are you using the grinder to do the actual stuffing ? I have a similar grinder as yours but its not exactly fast when it comes to stuffing casings. I want one of those tall tubes that you hand crank to fill casings.

This it it. With the knives sharp and the plate polished it can tear through it as fast as the wife can load the tray.

D888901D-E897-4D5C-932B-CDD2EA8BC9C0.jpeg

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    This it it. With the knives sharp and the plate polished it can tear through it as fast as the wife can load the tray.

D888901D-E897-4D5C-932B-CDD2EA8BC9C0.jpeg
    I have basically the same grinder, but having a sausage stuffer sure makes things allot easier.
    PS. I have never met a sausage I didn't like.

I suppose it does, but 25# at a time isn’t much. Plus I’m super picky on cleaning meat processing stuff. I’d spend more time scrubbing it than I’d save. If I was doing a lot more, I’d get a mixer and a stuffer. The mixing can be a PITA.

And if you met some of my first experiments you might not be able to say that.