Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Leave it to yahoo to try and make it look like the trucking industry is crashing. From Jan-Nov 2019, 2,600 total jobs lost.
    The nation added 288k more jobs this past quarter. Best economy in near 51 years. Rock on!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisMH&F View Post
    while some are struggling (manufacturing)
    Nope. I'm in manufacturing. 6 day work weeks with a 7th day thrown in occasionally to keep up with demand. I got one day off for Tgiving, will get the same for Christmas. Will probably have to work New Years. Company I worked for in 2015 lost contracts due to lack of demand for products. They downsized, which put me out of a job. I understand they are screaming now just like the company I currently work for. Another company I worked for in the past, same industry, was forced to closed a plant in 2015 due to lack of demand. So much for your propaganda.

If you think the economy is as good as some folks say, or as bad as others say your wrong. Some sectors are doing well (service and healthcare) while some are struggling (agriculture, coal, manufacturing). We often overestimate how much control the POTUS or Congress has over our global economy. Unfortunately if you want to give the current administration credit for the current job growth then you have to give the prior POTUS credit for 7+ years of expansion. Both sides will spin the numbers so I'm not sure it's productive to keep quote any general stats since the devils in the details.

You just can't stand it...

I don't if this has been posted yet, but Halliburton laid off a bunch of people too

https://www.rigzone.com/news/hallibu...60514-article/

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

5. Banned

6. Banned
    If you think the economy is as good as some folks say, or as bad as others say your wrong. Some sectors are doing well (service and healthcare) while some are struggling (agriculture, coal, manufacturing). We often overestimate how much control the POTUS or Congress has over our global economy. Unfortunately if you want to give the current administration credit for the current job growth then you have to give the prior POTUS credit for 7+ years of expansion. Both sides will spin the numbers so I'm not sure it's productive to keep quote any general stats since the devils in the details.
    Thank you, I needed a good

7. Member

Expansion at the cost of huge debt. The interest on the debt alone has America strapped as it continues to climb. I DO agree consumers, not POTUS are the market. I also have enough sense to realize that political, economic, social, technology, and ecology (PESTE) forces on the market can drastically change it. Consumer confidence...people don’t seem to mind a little debt.

Come sell Medicare insurance in peoples homes with me for a month. You’ll realize not everyone is doing anywhere near well. I’ve been in some peoples homes and walk away in tears at how they live. Then again, I walk in my 30 something year old sons home and think WOW this is really nice. Seems like you sell insurance Dennis? If you deal with Medicare you know what I’m talking about.

I’d think the poor and minority groups would be pissed since they were promised so much and saw so little. Instead, it’s all about the current POTUS. I’ve yet to hear someone in a bad situation say it was their fault.

I took a 10.00 a hour cut in my PT DOD job. I saw this coming two years ago. I’m not the smartest person in a room LOL. YET, with the freedoms we enjoy in this country I was able to help start a company and two years later start seeing our seed money back plus a nice chunk for next years operating expense. We are free to fail, or prosper based on drive. That I do agree with you on.

Trucking companies around me are offering signing bonuses and looking for drivers. 1000 of more than a million drivers is hardly a blip on the radar anyway, hardly worth an article. Just a handful of the big boys downsizing - or releasing over hires (having a hiring rush for the holidays to cover and then scaling back once actual work load is determined) could produce these numbers. I also wonder exactly what they are counting as "truckers". The proliferation of contract drivers of vans and small straight trucks (usually not considered "truckers") driving for Amazon - Fed Ex (using a lot of small vehicle contract drivers these days) and others have relocated some of the logistic drivers.
    A foster homes Ex husband was just moved down out of his huge straight truck (which would make him a "trucker") into a Mercedes Sprinter (which makes him more a delivery driver) . the whole company went to smaller delivery vehicles and they upped their local warehousing square footage all over the country to eliminate all of their "over the road" long distance deliveries....so is that kind of reorganization where some of these numbers are coming from?????

9. Member
    .0025% down is just a blip. The target of their report is not trucking, it is the overall economy growth that is being stated by the POTUS and others. Go back to 2008-2016 and look at four of those years where retirees did not get a COLA on their SS due to no growth. I never read any doomsday articles on that.

10. Member
    The aviation industry is booming. Aircraft maintenance techs and Pilots are in huge demand. We can’t get enough folks to fill the positions and the pay and benefits are awesome! We don’t have enough Aircraft to put people or cargo on. It’s nuts!!! We went from 6 Mechs to 13 so far this year. We are doubling the size of our facility. There is so much overtime. These jobs are all over America. And when the trade agreements happens with China and other countries I can’t imagine what will happen. Boeing and Airbus can’t make Aircraft fast enough. Things are so great that I was planning on Retiring at 65 but now it will be 55. I’m in the process of building our retirement home...it’s that good! America rocks!!!

11. Member
    The governments labor stats are pretty clear about manufacturing jobs, coal jobs and agricultural income. The trend is so clear it's not even debatable. That's not necessarily a criticism, all parts of the economy can't be humming or tanking at the same time. I appreciate everyone's personal story but we were talking about the national economy, not one specific state/city. You also have to look at the statistics a little deeper, for example manufacturing jobs have been stagnant overall but they dropped last month and spiked this month. This didn't mean "new" manufacturing jobs were lost/created it just meant 42,000 GM workers went on strike one month and were called back the next. Manufacturing jobs are stagnating because of automation and tariffs aren't going to help. Coal is dying because natural gas is cheaper. Agriculture is struggling because farm land price have gotten too high (cyclical), poor weather (climate change?), more foreign competition (Brazil) and tariffs/currency manipulation. Some of this the government can control and some they can't.

Your correct, some policy actions show up in the economy almost immediately (interest rate cuts) others take years or even decades. Clinton's surplus came from a booming economy and the "Peace Bonus" from the collapse of the Soviet Union. Folks like to give credit to Reagan for the fall of Communism, but if Truman had not started the policy of containment (i.e. Defeating Communism economically) Reagan's actions would have been meaningless. Every POTUS and Congress between continued the strategy so everyone (from both parties) and the fine Cold War warriors deserves the credit. Now with the rise of China & Russia (and rogue terrorist states) our defense budget has exploded again.

12. Member
    The aviation industry is booming. Aircraft maintenance techs and Pilots are in huge demand. We can’t get enough folks to fill the positions and the pay and benefits are awesome! We don’t have enough Aircraft to put people or cargo on. It’s nuts!!! We went from 6 Mechs to 13 so far this year. We are doubling the size of our facility. There is so much overtime. These jobs are all over America. And when the trade agreements happens with China and other countries I can’t imagine what will happen. Boeing and Airbus can’t make Aircraft fast enough. Things are so great that I was planning on Retiring at 65 but now it will be 55. I’m in the process of building our retirement home...it’s that good! America rocks!!!

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ssbassman View Post
    Totally false I could have minimum 50 driving jobs next week
    Isnt that the truth Kroger foods advertises truck driving jobs on television around here. Home everyday and starting pay is $25 an hour.

14. Member
    If you have a CDL in our area, you can pick who you want to work for.
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

The governments labor stats are pretty clear about manufacturing jobs, coal jobs and agricultural income. The trend is so clear it's not even debatable. That's not necessarily a criticism, all parts of the economy can't be humming or tanking at the same time. I appreciate everyone's personal story but we were talking about the national economy, not one specific state/city. You also have to look at the statistics a little deeper, for example manufacturing jobs have been stagnant overall but they dropped last month and spiked this month. This didn't mean "new" manufacturing jobs were lost/created it just meant 42,000 GM workers went on strike one month and were called back the next. Manufacturing jobs are stagnating because of automation and tariffs aren't going to help. Coal is dying because natural gas is cheaper. Agriculture is struggling because farm land price have gotten too high (cyclical), poor weather (climate change?), more foreign competition (Brazil) and tariffs/currency manipulation. Some of this the government can control and some they can't.

Your correct, some policy actions show up in the economy almost immediately (interest rate cuts) others take years or even decades. Clinton's surplus came from a booming economy and the "Peace Bonus" from the collapse of the Soviet Union. Folks like to give credit to Reagan for the fall of Communism, but if Truman had not started the policy of containment (i.e. Defeating Communism economically) Reagan's actions would have been meaningless. Every POTUS and Congress between continued the strategy so everyone (from both parties) and the fine Cold War warriors deserves the credit. Now with the rise of China & Russia (and rogue terrorist states) our defense budget has exploded again.
    This is a good objective and comprehensive analysis. Well done!

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

16. Member
    Some of the reasons certain industries are looking for people is because the last couple generations were steered away from the trades and now there is a shortage of skilled trades and people who may get dirty at work. My own high school scrapped machine shop, welding, auto body,drafting and building trades in the 80s and we are in the heart of the Midwest manufacturing sector.

17. Member
    Typical lib article on yahoo, what a joke. Maybe a few companies are.. Every trucking company around me can't find enough people to hire.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    79 counties in Nebraska was flooded in March, re-flooded in June. Iowa had flooding on the west side from the Missouri River, and on the est side from the Mississippi River. We still have land under water (7 months after the last flood). Missouri lost a lot of farm land also. I know it isn’t the whole country, but a big chunk of farm land is waste land right now.
    Unless the Corps goes back to a flood control priority, gonna be a lot more wasteland in the coming years.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoohoorjoo View Post
    There isnt an unbiased news source in existence. If you want to give credit or fault for the current economy, you have to go back 12-15 yrs. Perfect example, Clinton took credit for the windfall and booming economy of the 90's, when it was Reagan's policies that set that up. Likewise, the blame for the recession in the mid 2000's was also Clinton's doing, with NAFTA being a major contributing factor. I'm not being political at all, rather simply stating facts. You can look it up for yourself......if you can sort thru all the BS to find facts. I'm not a Republican or a Democrat, so dont say I'm leaning one way or the other with this.
    If we're going back to causes, didn't Clinton talk Ukraine into giving all there Nuclear weapons back to Russia, with the promise we would protect them? On the other hand my brother hasn't been out of a truck driving job since he was 19.

Are we sure they were talking about the USA ?? Seems some other country’s just announced massive jobs loss ??

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast