Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Double-nut and remove the studs. Makes it a little easier.

Just be VERY, VERY careful with the surfaces. I feel your pain... many times over. The good news is that the new gaskets are much higher-quality WAX coated, and come off quite nicely. If only they had run out of concrete sooner....
    Heres the answer. Let the Dremel do the work and let the brush glide on the surface. Im removing the gasket and the black from the mid still remains. The part that sux is my guess is that Ill use maybe 6 of these.
    <LINK REMOVED- ANNOUNCEMENTS>
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 12-10-2019 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Announcements

2. Member
    Ask Joe the "second" reason he pulls all of the long studs out. I bet he's got a real cranial reason!
    its like he can your mind
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 12-10-2019 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Quote syntax
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    Heres the answer. Let the Dremel do the work and let the brush glide on the surface. Im removing the gasket and the black from the mid still remains. The part that sux is my guess is that Ill use maybe 6 of these.
    <LINK REMOVED- ANNOUNCEMENTS>
    I do not recommend the use of any power or rotary tool for cleaning these surfaces. If the surface is more than .005" distorted, there is a high probability of leakage or gasket failure.

If you choose to utilize some method like this- do so at your own risk, and check the surfaces with a true-straight edge (and .006" feeler gauge).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Banned
    UGH Im just back to complain hahaha. This has to be the hardest part of the job. Ive been at this gasket crap for a couple hrs a day. Just have the power head left. I guess 21 years and those gaskets were part of the motor lol. Aircraft stripper and a plastic razor is whats working. But I have to take a little off then apply and wait and repeat. Oh well I have a feeling the motor mounts wont be here for a couple weeks anyway. The impeller kit showed up so I guess I can do that and get it out of the way.
    I keep feeling like I should do something else while I have all this torn down. More parts or something but everything else looks good.

yeap been what 4 or 5 years since I did mine and my work on boats/cars and whatever dark blue dickies still have black carbon streaks on them from the carbon.

Fun Times!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    yeap been what 4 or 5 years since I did mine and my work on boats/cars and whatever dark blue dickies still have black carbon streaks on them from the carbon.

Fun Times!
    I love wrenching on stuff but yeah this gasket nonsense is for the birds haha. Did you notice a difference after you did yours?

I love wrenching on stuff but yeah this gasket nonsense is for the birds haha. Did you notice a difference after you did yours?
    Mine wasn't as bad as yours. Think I had 4 or 5 blocked. Did mine because it was 10 years old 312 hrs and bought it used so didn't really know what was used in it. I wasn't having any issues. Just use a drill just big enough to clean it up.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

8. Banned
    Mine wasn't as bad as yours. Think I had 4 or 5 blocked. Did mine because it was 10 years old 312 hrs and bought it used so didn't really know what was used in it. I wasn't having any issues. Just use a drill just big enough to clean it up.
    Aw got ya thanks.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Or just use a 3/8" bit (which is the correct hole diameter). Keep in mind- cast holes are not always exact, so you may clean a little metal here and there.

There are a couple holes that may allow you to contact the inside of the can, so be careful (you'll feel the bit "catch"... back out when you note that).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Banned
    Or just use a 3/8" bit (which is the correct hole diameter). Keep in mind- cast holes are not always exact, so you may clean a little metal here and there.

There are a couple holes that may allow you to contact the inside of the can, so be careful (you'll feel the bit "catch"... back out when you note that).
    What if I went to far? I felt a catch a few times and went in deeper. I looked down those holes and they're half way open.

I used and extra long bit to go all the way through. Like Don said just clean them up using a close to stock size bit. You'll have to work each hole a little at a time and try to keep the bit clear of carbon. Not hard take your time. It may round out a couple spots but no worries just open it up close to stock size you'll be fine.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

12. Banned
    I used and extra long bit to go all the way through. Like Don said just clean them up using a close to stock size bit. You'll have to work each hole a little at a time and try to keep the bit clear of carbon. Not hard take your time. It may round out a couple spots but no worries just open it up close to stock size you'll be fine.
    Thanks yeah it's all done, I finished the holes a few days ago. I was just worried about what Don said about some of the holes not going all the way through. There's like 4 of them I think. I kept drilling down on those but didn't go all the way through. If you look in those holes it's like half the hole is open and aluminum is covering the other half.
    Just want to make sure I didn't screw those 4 holes up.
    The rest was easy as pie. I used engine degreaser first and it worked out well.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Only thing you're really going to need to worry about when drillng is puncturing the outer liner/can of the tuner. The remaining holes are essentially straight-through.

14. Banned
    Only thing you're really going to need to worry about when drillng is puncturing the outer liner/can of the tuner. The remaining holes are essentially straight-through.
    Aw Im good then! What about the holes that still have half material in them, the four? Should I just drill them 100% out?

Sorry for all the questions to much time to think. Im all caught up and the cement is off and Im waiting for motor mounts for another two weeks.

15. Member
    I never open up holes that were not originally open.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I never open up holes that were not originally open.
    They were open somewhat.

The results of opening holes that were not intended to be opened by design would be no different than drilling out the holes that are there larger than were designed. You shouldn't enlarge or open intentionality blocked by design holes in the tuner. It's a tuner by design. Key word here Tuner.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

18. Banned
    The results of opening holes that were not intended to be opened by design would be no different than drilling out the holes that are there larger than were designed. You shouldn't enlarge or open intentionality blocked by design holes in the tuner. It's a tuner by design. Key word here Tuner.
    Thats the thing they were open half way I just drilled them a bit deeper, they're still open half way. Oh well it is what it is. Once I get the rest of my parts Ill part everything back together and see how it goes.

Thats the thing they were open half way I just drilled them a bit deeper, they're still open half way. Oh well it is what it is. Once I get the rest of my parts Ill part everything back together and see how it goes.
    If they weren't open when new and they are still not open your good to go.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

20. Banned
    Lower motor mounts will be here tomorrow. Glad I ordered them all after seeing this upper one. Looks like friday it will be going back together.
    Last edited by g352nv; 12-18-2019 at 03:50 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast