Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

How does this tuner look to you? Plane issues

I think I solved my getting on plane issue. 750HRS on the motor.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Remember the Required Info when posting (see Announcements at the top of the Forum for full details) if you would, please. Thanks!

I feel pretty confident that you had some restriction going on there... and that would be a definite contributor.

BTW- that's MASSIVE carbon buildup. What engine/serial, what oil/additives, and how much idling/low RPM operation?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Remember the Required Info when posting (see Announcements at the top of the Forum for full details) if you would, please. Thanks!

I feel pretty confident that you had some restriction going on there... and that would be a definite contributor.

BTW- that's MASSIVE carbon buildup. What engine/serial, what oil/additives, and how much idling/low RPM operation?
    Sorry Don I figured because I just ordered from ya today you would know the motor. But here's the info.
    1998 Merc EFI 225
    SN 0G653471
    Prop 22P bravo 1
    Max RPM 5700

I don't really know, I bought the boat six months ago. It's runs great up top but it was a dog out of the hole. When I pulled it a part I was in shock. The hardest part of the job was separating the tuner and mid lol. I didn't want to break anything. But yeah I have a lot of cleaning to do and from now on it will be decarbed a couple times a year.

4. Banned
    Anyone ever seen one this bad?

5. Member
    Yes....quality oil makes a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    Yes...on a pre-mix motor, but it had a lot more hours than 750.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sorry Don I figured because I just ordered from ya today you would know the motor. But here's the info.
    1998 Merc EFI 225
    SN 0G653471
    Prop 22P bravo 1
    Max RPM 5700

I don't really know, I bought the boat six months ago. It's runs great up top but it was a dog out of the hole. When I pulled it a part I was in shock. The hardest part of the job was separating the tuner and mid lol. I didn't want to break anything. But yeah I have a lot of cleaning to do and from now on it will be decarbed a couple times a year.
    Often hard to put a BBC member name, customer name and motor together (especially from memory). No way I can keep up with all of you guys!

I've seen several worse than that... usually someone that did a lot of trolling and idling, no additives and cheapest oil they could find. Use a 3/8" drill bit as you clear the holes... it's fun to sweep up the carbon and put it in a baggie so you can show what was physically in the openings (let alone clinging to the recesses of the tuner).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Banned
    Often hard to put a BBC member name, customer name and motor together (especially from memory). No way I can keep up with all of you guys!

I've seen several worse than that... usually someone that did a lot of trolling and idling, no additives and cheapest oil they could find. Use a 3/8" drill bit as you clear the holes... it's fun to sweep up the carbon and put it in a baggie so you can show what was physically in the openings (let alone clinging to the recesses of the tuner).
    All done just waiting for parts hahaha. Motor mounts going to take a bit to come in though. Oh well it's winter and snow is on the ground. I should of swept it all up but I busted out the pressure washer and engine degreaser and went to work.

I can't wait to see the difference. I bet I go up in prop.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Biggest difference should be in the bottom end (that engine couldn't breathe at or coming off idle).

10. Banned
    Biggest difference should be in the bottom end (that engine couldn't breathe at or coming off idle).
    Yeah I had to drop to a 22p from a 25p at high altitude. Compression is great, had injections done, did CF reeds and still would struggle. That's why I found a thread on here with someone talking about the tuner and you saying it needed to be checked.

It's not that much work to do and with the snow I said why not. Glad I found that thread and your advice. Thanks for the help.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You probably went from a 25P to a 22P...

12. Member
    several that bad and worse
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

13. Banned
    You probably went from a 25P to a 22P...
    Yup, hey any tips to get these gaskets off? Maybe good off and a plastic scraper? Man it's on there.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Dude... that's the understatement of the century! That stuff is about 10 hardness points north of CONCRETE!

I've used permatex aerosol gasket remover with decent results, Power Tune (if you don't mind taking your time), some paint stripper, and maybe you'll come up with something better.

15. Member
    Make sure that you use Genuine Mercury Marine gaskets, when you go back together.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Make sure that you use Genuine Mercury Marine gaskets, when you go back together.
    Yeah Don has me covered! No shortcuts when you go this far haha.

17. Banned
    Dude... that's the understatement of the century! That stuff is about 10 hardness points north of CONCRETE!

I've used permatex aerosol gasket remover with decent results, Power Tune (if you don't mind taking your time), some paint stripper, and maybe you'll come up with something better.
    I guess I'll play around with it for a while and see what I come up with. Lol but you're right it's on there! I'm dreading getting under that power head and trying to get it off lol.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Double-nut and remove the studs. Makes it a little easier.

Just be VERY, VERY careful with the surfaces. I feel your pain... many times over. The good news is that the new gaskets are much higher-quality WAX coated, and come off quite nicely. If only they had run out of concrete sooner....

19. Member
    I'm dreading getting under that power head and trying to get it off lol.
    that's worst part ,I pull all studs except 2 front and 2 back short ones
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    that's worst part ,I pull all studs except 2 front and 2 back short ones
    Ask Joe the "second" reason he pulls all of the long studs out. I bet he's got a real cranial reason!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast