Thread: Magna 1 dfi oil

Magna 1 dfi oil

Sons use the boat most of the time, 225 optimax 2003 on a Ranger 620vs. Couldn't figure out what oil they have been putting in. Finally found the empty jug and matched the oil color. It turns out it was Magna 1 dfi oil from Walmart. I have never heard of this 2 stroke oil and am in the process of doing some research. I can't even find any posts concerning this oil. What I have found on the internet is positive so far. I don't see any soot on the prop and the engine didn't blow up.
    Any thoughts, likes or dislikes, etc. Thanks T

2. Member
    Never heard of it either. What is the cost? Keep us posted.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and provide the required info when posting. Thanks!

Congratulations on finding an oil no-one has asked about yet. That's quite an accomplishment!

The MSDS Sheets show no easily discernible differences, but that doesn't necessarily mean a lot. Especially when contents are listed in formats such as "<40% by weight", etc.

On paper- it would seem the biggest difference would be the company standing behind the product. If something were to go awry (unlikely but not impossible), would it be Wally, Maggie or Mercury standing behind it?

Also- look at the pricing and factor the "perceived savings" on an Annual Basis. Is that dollar amount worth an real or possible risk, to you?

Here's a link to the MSDS sheet:

https://magna1.com/wp-content/upload...%93TCW3DFI.pdf

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks for your research Don. I've read the annouancements several times and it is confusing as to what is required. That is why I listed my engine and boat etc. I guess the only thing I didn't list is the engine Ser#. Is that what I missed?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That is the ONE required item when posting.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Good information.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758