Bilge Pumps - 99 Intimidator

Messing with the pumps it appears the auto float is not working. I assume the float is the little black plastic box next to the most forward pump? Does anyone have tips to remove the pumps? Looks like the base of the rear pump has to come out to get to front pump (that front pump is halfway under the gas tank)
    Also - The float still should work when the master power is turned off right?
    Are these yellow Mayfair pump housing the same as (or compatible) with Johnson pumps?

2. Member
    Yes the tray needs to come out and the pumps are the same.

I personally would not worry that my auto bilge pump works...as long as it works manually, I wouldn't spend the time to change it. How often does your boat sit in water when its not occupied? Mine never does.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

4. Member
    good point

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    I personally would not worry that my auto bilge pump works...as long as it works manually, I wouldn't spend the time to change it. How often does your boat sit in water when its not occupied? Mine never does.
    I don't agree with that. If you're fishing in the rain or have your boat outside and forget to close the drain plug, you will need that pump working. Livewell leaks, Backwash water, etc.... All needs the auto pump working.

6. Member
    Seems like the old auto floats like to stick.. and stay running sometimes, which I don't like. Aren't there new style electronic floats that are better? Anyone have any info on this?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Seems like the old auto floats like to stick.. and stay running sometimes, which I don't like. Aren't there new style electronic floats that are better? Anyone have any info on this?
    I've had a electronic bilge sensor in my boat(s) since 1998. This one I installed in my current boat has been in there since 2008 and works w/o fail. The other was in my '96 209 and was working when I sold it in 2001. They only sense water. Translated... If you're fuel or oil tank spring a leak water is heavier than either of those fluids. The sensor will sense any water in the bilges and operate the pumps until the water is gone. Once the gas or oil gets to the sensor it will shut off the pumps. I have 2 - 1000 gph bilge pumps. Some folks wire them so one is on automatic and one is on manual. I have mine wire such that both pumps come on regardless, manual or automatic.

Another case for having a function bilge sensor is: If your boat is outside, on the trailer, and there is a bunch of rain while the boat is not being monitored the weight created by filling the boat up with water will actually damage the trailer spindles due to an over-load condition.

This is the one I have installed. The pumps turn on when both the circles on the face are submerged. It will pump down to near where the bottom circle is.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/john...waAqmaEALw_wcB

8. Member
    I installed the electronic floats on both my Intimidator and my 2100. They work great!