Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gall Blader Removal ??

I am having Gall Bladder surgery nest Tuesday.

I am hearing will be down for a couple of weeks.

Anybody having the surgery have any feedback ?

How long before you were able to return to fishing ?
    Last edited by Bollee; 12-06-2019 at 02:08 PM.

I think everyone heals different. Depends on what type of job you would going back too. I was off 6 weeks, but I had complications from my surgery.

3. Member
    Don’t over do it and don’t eat anything greasy for awhile...I ate buttered noodles for awhile and did fine with that....introduce foods back into you slowly....didn’t really have any pain except for the first evening. Nothing to worry about!

My wife spent one day in the hospital and was back to work in a week. I should mention she is a mail carrier.
    Last edited by Cgs1967!; 12-06-2019 at 01:35 PM.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

I had mine out years ago. Laproscopic surgery and 1 night in the hospital. As Loweman11 said, no greasy food for a while. It will take your body a while to adjust to having bile in your system all of the time, which could result in loose bowels. After a few weeks or so, your body will adjust and things should return to normal.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

My gall bladder op turned into a goatf.... The surgeon nicked too much and I ended up back on the table a week later for repair of a bile leak which lead to an infection which lead to 9 days in the hospital to fight to infection .... which lead to - well, good luck. My 2019 summer was not my best.

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

7. Banned
    7 years later greasy food still goes thru me in about 10 minutes.... Also spent (2) 1 week stays in the hospital over the past 6 years due to scar tissue pressing up against and blocking my intestine as a result of gall bladder removal! Fun times!

If you have confirmed gallstones then get it out. If you just have slush then save your gallbladder and change your diet. I had mine removed a couple years ago after I was talked into it by a surgeon, go figure, and my problems still remained until after I changed my diet - think more fruits & vegetables than meat & dairy.

As far as the actual procedure it’s a breeze. I had mine out 2 years ago the day before thanksgiving, shot a deer that Friday and drug it out with the help of a buddy.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Piece of cake surgery. Anything fatty will give u the hersheys after the surgery tho. You will learn real quick what foods your body cant take real quick. I started taking two Fibercon pills a day a few years back and it helps a ton.
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

10. Member
    I have a desk job. Out on Friday. Worked some on Monday. Tuesday I was fine.

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    My wife was scheduled to have hers took out around the last of October. About a week or 10 days before her scheduled date she had a stone that left her gallbladder and got stuck in the bile duct. I took her to the ER and they remover her gallbladder the next day. They also had to do a separate procedure that involved running a scope down her throat and going down to where the stone was lodge in the bile duct that drops into the intestine. I remember watching a video of what they were going to do before the surgery. Until then I did not realize the liver,pancreas and gallbladder had duct work that disposed of waste. Anyways other than being sore she was up and about doing normal stuff within a few days. If my memory is correct her main restriction was no lifing 10 lbs or more for 2-3 weeks. As far as food she has tried several things since then and has had zero issues. They claim the side effect can be diarrhea and sensitivity eating some foods. So far she has not experienced either one. I suppose it affects people in different was. Her pain is gone and quality of life is much better.

12. Member
    Like anything, it's a crap shoot. Had mine removed Friday afternoon, back to work Tuesday. Coworker had hers removed and she was out more than two weeks. They fill your abdominal cavity with CO2, which will leave an air pocket aimlessly drifting about for a few weeks. It will sometimes put pressure on your diaphragm causing nerve pain in your shoulder. Aside from having trouble sitting up, you should be okay. It might be best to sleep in a recliner or have someone help you get in and out of bed for a few days. Also, get the anti-nausea patch behind the ear. It will definitely help.

I had a fast recovery but had to change my diet. I had a stomach of steel before the surgery. Now breakfast will almost always make me sick and beer gives me terrible heartburn.

14. Member
    Had mine out about 12 years ago. If it's laparoscopic it's a pretty quick recovery, if they have to open you up it will be more difficult. My now ex-wife drove me to the front door of the hospital and dropped me off and I had to find a ride home later that day. At the time I had mine out, I was training for a marathon so I was in excellent physical condition. I was actually riding an exercise bike the following morning and was back to running within 5 days (though it was a bit painful). I resumed full training within about 2 weeks and ran the full marathon 6 weeks after surgery.
    2009 Tracker Pro 170 TX - Mercury 40 HP EFI

Don't ever trust a fart again....
    2005 2200 Gambler 2005 Merc 250 Racing XS

I had it done. Laproscopic surgery and 1 night in the hospital just before Xmas last year took about a week to heal up now that was with 3 small incisions hardly any pain. ,like others have said every one heals differently . just be careful . No greasy foods for a while now I eat everything .There was at least 12 gallbladder surgeries ahead of me when I had mine done Must have been gall bladder week.

17. Member
    Mine had to be taken out, was septic. Back to work in a week.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

18. Member
    I got lucky, back to work next day. Still ate anything I wanted.

I had a non-functioning gall bladder, surgery was easy-peasy and I recovered quickly. I was fishin' within 2 weeks or maybe earlier but didn't have the capacity to do a hard hookset. I worked for a Fortune 500 company that didn't trust ANYONE so I had to return to work earlier than I wanted.

(606)305-1956

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wedgestank View Post
    I got lucky, back to work next day. Still ate anything I wanted.
    Ditto, no problem, and I was released the same day. No hospital stay.
    Pool 10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast