Speedometer and Pitot Tube

Am looking to replace the pitot tube on my Johnson 175hp VJ175GLENC and I bought the pitot nipple that was broken on my outboard but now when replacing it's at a weird angle where the hose connects and looks like it'll break very easily. I'll attach a photo of the nipple I'm replacing. My question is, am I doing it right by attaching the tube that comes from the gauge to this nipple?336535--top.jpg

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I really don't understand what you're saying when you say it's at a weird angle.....If the big nipple is square with the lower unit and seated all the way the barbed nipple is sticking up for the hose to go onto....I'll heat the hose with a heat gun and insert it on to the nipple.

3. Member
    Sorry if I didn't explain very clearly but what I mean is when the nipple is seated the barbed nipple isn't straight up it leans forward and that makes the tube that's coming down from the outboard have to bend very sharp which in my opinion puts stress on the nipple causing it to break very easily.

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I see....I don't remember my old lower unit having a problem with breaking them.....unless I hit something....shouldn't be a problem as long as the hose doesn't kink.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Make sure all tche junk is out of the lower then tap it in. The angle of the speedo tube is that way as it goes over the antiventillation plate