Premium Finesse Spinnerbaits for Smallies

I'm looking for an open, clear water spinnerbait for smallmouth - blueback herring forage, usually deeper than 15ft, lift/fall/slowroll.

3/16 - 1/2oz...hand tied skirts, regular or thin wire Gammy or Owner hooks...

The closest I've seen components-wise is the Jackall Deraspin, but that's 15 bucks a pop on fleabay. I would also like some other blade configs.

Anyone make such a thing domestically?

2. Banned
    War eagle make some good one
    I like there gold frames I get just gold Spinnerbaits and tie my own skirt patterns on them her spots and smallies.

3. Member
    For me small framed spinnerbaits = SOB Mini-Me or Santone Got 5

oe

4. Member
    SOB Mini-Me

5. Member
    WE Screamin Eagle

Z-Man Sling BladeZ Finesse in 1/4 or 3/8 oz. Compact frame, wire-tied skirt, Has VMC hook, but otherwise fits your criteria. Blueback and Greenback colors available too.

Molix Water Slash has a 1/2 oz available. Very compact bait, but heavy. Don't know what kind of hooks, but they are thin and sharp.

WE Screamin Eagle as mentioned. Not really a finesse spinnerbait in my eyes, except for downsized blades and hidden weight. Mustad hooks, I believe.

I've used all three.

7. Member
    5/16 finesse war eagle. They don't last long, but that is why I carry 10 in my boat at all times. Add a 4" paddle tail trailer and lights out.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

8. Member
    I’d agree with the Z-Man. Quality spinnerbait for sure

9. Member
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by eyra_kid View Post
    Molix Water Slash has a 1/2 oz available. Very compact bait, but heavy. Don't know what kind of hooks, but they are thin and sharp.
    This one looks the most promising, I'll order a couple, thanks!

I've not spinnerbaited in clear open water for suspended smallies that much; my other techniques that work so far this season called for pretty light floro...that's why I'm gravitating towards thinner gauge hooks. 6 - 8lb leader probably won't work well with most of the spinnerbait hooks I see on the market, even the ones marked "finesse."

For the depth range you mentioned, that Molix is probably your best bet. If it were a bit shallower, I would definitely lean toward the Z-Man as I think they are more durable.
    Smallies can sure tear up some spinnerbaits. Good luck, and report back with results!

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    SOB Mini-Me
    This

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 597fitter View Post
    This
    color: Lavender double silver willows. 3/8 and 1/2. money.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reason162 View Post
    Thanks guys!

I've not spinnerbaited in clear open water for suspended smallies that much; my other techniques that work so far this season called for pretty light floro...that's why I'm gravitating towards thinner gauge hooks. 6 - 8lb leader probably won't work well with most of the spinnerbait hooks I see on the market, even the ones marked "finesse."
    Am I seeing this correctly, that you intend to use a 8lb leader on a Spinnerbait?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    Am I seeing this correctly, that you intend to use a 8lb leader on a Spinnerbait?
    Yeah, 8lb works fine on the Deraspins, the hook is appropriately light wire. That's what I'm looking for...not just a compact spinnerbait but one that comes with a quality light wire hook.

Clear, open water, forage is small blueback herring.

Dobyns Rods, Gary sells the best blade I have ever used for Spots and smallmouth.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by reason162 View Post
    Thanks guys!

Started using the Molix just the other day, I am slow rolling it. It's not tearing them up, but I did get a 5 lb. largemouth in 18 FOW rolling it right on the bottom. Haven't fished it in the smallmouth lakes yet, but will soon.

Just ordered a couple of Hildebrandt 'Drop Dead Fred' double Colorado spinner baits. Looks to be another good one for slow rolling/dropping during the winter. They seem to sell out fast, at least the white/silver blade color does, might be something there.

18. Member
    Check out Tru-Trac Lures. They have a collar-weighted spinnerbait (1/2 oz) that keeps the profile smaller but gives you a heavier weight for deeper depths. They use a 4/0 Mustad Ultra Point hook. If you want to customize your spinnerbait, try their UltraLite spinnerbait. You can choose weight, blade type, and blade size to fit your needs. It doesn't say on their website what hook they use for the UltraLite, but I would think it would also be the Mustad Ultra Point. And I think they have some of the best color options available. I have had great success with their copper nosed bluegill color and their Alewife as well. They use a lighter wire too (.032), which really amps up the vibration, but also makes them a little less durable.

19. Member
    Well if you are using them for candlewood lake, everyone already has those and uses them.