Thoughts on this boat?

I am looking at a 2015 Skeeter ZX225 with a Yamaha 225 SHO. 160 hours and none over 5000 rpms. I am not familiar with Skeeter or Yamaha SHOs. So, what does everyone think of this boat and engine? Thanks in advance! Also, does anyone know the actual gallons of the livewell?
    Last edited by Prohawg; 12-05-2019 at 09:19 PM.
    Denali Rods

2. Member
    None of those hours being over 5000 RPM would concern me. Those engines are made to be ran. At the very lowest those should be hitting 54-5500 RPMs at full throttle. That means there has been a lot of idling, which isn't necessarily great for the engine. That's just my two cents however.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Theolbug View Post
    None of those hours being over 5000 RPM would concern me. Those engines are made to be ran. At the very lowest those should be hitting 54-5500 RPMs at full throttle. That means there has been a lot of idling, which isn't necessarily great for the engine. That's just my two cents however.
    This would be my concern. It may be a great deal and I suppose that even at 160 hours the engine could still need breaking in, however if it has "made oil" all that time or if the reason it has never been over 5000 rpm is because it hasn't been propped right then the engine may have been "lugging" a lot would concern me about excessive wear on internal components. Never ever being over 5000 rpm would be a red flag for me but it could be a great engine and super deal. The buyer of used takes the risk!

4. Scraps
    Regardless of whether concerned, I'd wanna have a tech download the computer. Otherwise that's a fine fishing machine and an even better engine. I believe at one point there was a change in the powerheads on some SHOs a few years back. Something to look up.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Member
    Any warranty left on the engine?

6. Member
    I was concerned about the low rpms also. I did ask if there is any warranty left on the motor, but no response yet. Thanks all for your input!
    Denali Rods

I would need a lake test, and I would need to see it get near 6k at over 67 mph. Other than that a good boat and worth a look. Mechanic visit after the lake.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

8. Member
    Your biggest risk is the engine if there is no remaining warranty. The SHO is a great motor but if you have a major problem with it after you buy it, the repair could be very expensive. You will love the boat and motor assuming all is good with the SHO! If you can have the engine serial number, you can go here to check if there is any warranty option left to you:

https://www.yamaha-motor-yes.com/search/