Thread: Caracal speeds

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by SethRstein View Post
    Awesome speed. With my Fury 24/4 I can't get beyond 68. It starts to walk pretty bad at that speed. With my Fury 25/3 I can control it up to about 72 and then it gets kind of scary. I have the belly tank and I think the fuel rocking back and forth from side to side is contributing to the boat walking so much. What setting do you have your jack plate set at? I have an Atlas and I get the best speed with the jack plate set at 4-5.
    I had an atlas as well and I would pretty much leave it around 5-6, then trim up till I just saw that faint spray coming up near the cowling. I think I was around 5775 rpms- or a touch more. I had the 33/10 tank set up. The boat would walk with my 25/3 as well. I never got good at driving it at high speed till I swapped to the 4 blade, and it just ran flat. I feel like on that boat you really have to start controlling it in advance before it walks. Heres a video of me running mine about two years ago. I never realized how much wheel work I was doing till I filmed myself. I ran it up to about 70-71 in that at the end.

"the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    I had an atlas as well and I would pretty much leave it around 5-6, then trim up till I just saw that faint spray coming up near the cowling. I think I was around 5775 rpms- or a touch more. I had the 33/10 tank set up. The boat would walk with my 25/3 as well. I never got good at driving it at high speed till I swapped to the 4 blade, and it just ran flat. I feel like on that boat you really have to start controlling it in advance before it walks. Heres a video of me running mine about two years ago. I never realized how much wheel work I was doing till I filmed myself. I ran it up to about 70-71 in that at the end.

Cool video. Just out of curiosity, do you have all of PVS plugs open on your fury 4?
    Basscat Caracal
    Mercury 225 ProXS 2 stroke
    Mercury Fury 4 24P

Quote Originally Posted by SethRstein View Post
    Cool video. Just out of curiosity, do you have all of PVS plugs open on your fury 4?
    All open year round on that boat. Kept the atlas on 5-6 per the gauge. I run a 25/4 fury on my 17 puma now, and it gets up and gos now. Manual plate all holes open. Zero blow out Ive run it up to 74 steady and I think I could get a touch more. I never got to try a 25/4 blade on the caracal, but it might be the ticket for a 2 stroke with rear tanks.

4. Member
    74-75 MPH with SHO

Quote Originally Posted by limitout View Post
    74-75 MPH with SHO
    Jim Tate is running a sho on his, and similar speeds with a temptest prop. That might be the motor to go with on a caracal...

6. Member
    That's a pretty one for sale on the for sale board

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12