Shimano Expride 72MHG

Anyone use the Shimano Expride 72MH glass? Was looking to get it for chatterbaits and bigger squarebills. Your thoughts?
    2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP
    2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Yes, bought it last spring on the Rods For Sale board here and really like it.

3. Member
    I like it as a trap rod.

4. Member
    Love mine. I use it for cranks, lipless cranks, chatterbaits, and some topwaters like whopper ploppers. The rod never feels overpowered, casts great, and is very comfortable to fish. I wouldn’t hesitate to get one.

5. Member
    Thanks for the info!
    2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP
    2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS

6. Member
    I talked about it a lot in my recent expride video...

The 72MH glass is a killer chatterbait rod for 3/8 & 1/2oz. Would also do well for spinnerbaits of equal weights. It would also make a fine chatterbait and mid-depth cranking rod. It's definitely one of the stand-out rods in the Expride line.
    I come from the land of the ice and snow.
    YouTube: PunchFishing

7. Member
    Thanks for the link I haven’t seen this video! I actually first heard about this rod on your video when you were going through your arsenal for the year. Subscribed now thanks!
    2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP
    2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS

8. Member
    It's a fantastic stick that can do just about anything that involves a moving bait. I used it primarily as a bladed jig and sq.bill rod until late fall up north here. I then fished it using weighted DT10s and 14s until ice up. Very versatile. You will not be disappointed if you pull the trigger!

9. Member
    Thanks for all the info. I picked one up today.
    2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP
    2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS

10. Member
    You should try throwing flash mob Jr's on it. That rod really covers alot of moving baits, and does it well.

11. Member
    Sounds good I don’t have any flash mobs but I’ll try the Picasso School E Rig Jr on it, I have a few of those. I never thought to try that. Thanks
    2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP
    2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooker11 View Post
    Sounds good I don’t have any flash mobs but I’ll try the Picasso School E Rig Jr on it, I have a few of those. I never thought to try that. Thanks
    90% percent of the time in MN you should not be using a glass rod for chatter baits! Heck I almost never you glass period because of all the weeds we have! IMO punch shouldn't be giving out advice!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by punch View Post
    I talked about it a lot in my recent expride video...

The 72MH glass is a killer chatterbait rod for 3/8 & 1/2oz. Would also do well for spinnerbaits of equal weights. It would also make a fine chatterbait and mid-depth cranking rod. It's definitely one of the stand-out rods in the Expride line.
    dude seriously give it up! You really think you should be giving out advise like this

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssbassman View Post
    90% percent of the time in MN you should not be using a glass rod for chatter baits! Heck I almost never you glass period because of all the weeds we have! IMO punch shouldn't be giving out advice!
    Oh come on Shane...give me a break.

I literally used this rod all hear around the dreaded milfoil and didn't lose any fish. I even boated all the big pike that bit around the grass. PLUS Josh Douglas used this rod on the FLW tour in Florida tossing 1/2oz jackhammers (he personally told me to pick up this rod). This rod is only 40% glass, 60% graphite.

I'm sorry man but we're going to have to agree to disagree. it's a fantastic stick.
    Last edited by punch; 12-09-2019 at 06:07 PM.
    I come from the land of the ice and snow.
    YouTube: PunchFishing

15. Member
    Sounds like maybe somebody's alittle jealous! All the expride are awesome! I personally hate glass rods, but thinking about grabbing one of these!