Jay Smith Racing Outstanding Service

Had trouble with my eng a year and a half ago after a rering 1998 200efi. Motor went down on power #2 low compression. Had found a great big mouse nest and figured it had gotton some sucked up in the reed cage. I reringed #2 again that fall and the following summer running back to the dock the eng locked up. Once it cooled down it fired backup and idled in Upon inspection#2 had melted the crown by exhaust port.
    I decided to have the engine completely gone through and over hauled. I called Jay mid October and told him what had happened and what mods that could be done. He went over in detail what he does and why. I already had a few things done quite a long time ago Tdr reeds, heads cuts by Jay and det cont mod removed. I know I will miss a few things here.Injectors cleaned and calibrated, new pistons top pinned by John Marles, once they got back to Jay balanced them and the rods. He cut the front case and did mods to the block to improve the flow so the engine could breathe better. A whole lot of time with a die grinder smoothing things out. Jay was real good about keeping me up to date on everything and invited me down to watch him put it together once everything was in and prepped.
    I arrived there Tuesday morning and I think he started at around 8 am. Jay had everything lay'd out on a bench in his clean room and by 3pm it was fully assembled and had all 6 cylinders indexed for timing. This is where we found that the timing pointer was off to the high side. After supper we got mounted it on the test stand. The following morning Jay reset the timing and checked all 6 hole tested fuel pressure and fired it up. He ran it for a little over an hour. Once I figure out how to post pictures here I'll put them up they painted the engine black and gold to match the stripe on my bass boat looks really sharp.
    I would like to than Jay and his wife Cathy for their hospitality and taking me out for some really good food. Going to have to drive back down just for the chicken sausage gumbo and fried ribs.
    Thanks again Jay
    Justin
    Jay working his magic and our real boss
    jay1 (1).jpg
    jay2.jpg
    jay3.jpg
    Last edited by tomcat; 12-05-2019 at 04:34 PM. Reason: add photos
    JUSTIN LAWSON
    IL ANG 183FW Retired SMSGT
    1998 ASTRO2000 DC[Hooter Scooter] 200MERC EFI TRO4 23P
    Engine by Jay Smith Racing

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good folks for sure!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    First, for Jay. Looking forward to some photos. But now the real reason I am replying, I need more info on these so called “fried ribs”! Jay, we need a recipe and maybe a whole thread about this culinary subject.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

4. Member
    How did all these mods affect your performance? Any idea what the prop shaft HP is now?
    I assume this engine is going on the boat in your post,so how does it run now? If you don’t mind saying,I’d be interested in what the rebuild cost. Thanks.

5. Banned
    Back in August of 2016 I also had Jay Smith w/ JSRE perform a engine overhaul / rebuild very similar to the engine modifications to what you had done. My engine is a Mercury 1995 200xri. Just to let you know the engine is running just as strong today as the day I brought the boat back from Jay back then. You are correct, Jay and his wife Cathy run a professional first class operation. If anyone is considering a engine rebuild / overhaul Jay is your guy!

6. Owner JSRE Racing
    Brookeland, Texas 75931 (15 miles N. Jasper )
    Thanks All ,
    Fried ribs are a specialty of a Cajun restaurant near JSRE, they have been a favorite to all that spend time here . We have a 5 star apartment for our build customers on site to stay free of charge while we build their motors to observe how we do rebuilds and a 1-2 hour run session after the build to make sure customers engine are good to go home ... We build on an average 2-3 2.5 engines a week at JSRE, 99% of all work done in house , we send injectors off to be cleaned , flowed and calibrated, cast pistons off to be top pinned ,and bore and sleeve work to a specialty shop is the only work “farmed” out just in for speedy turnaround allowing me to do speciality mods to make useable HP ...
    Give is a call if we can help in your engine rebuild and or mods ...

JSRE 832 597 2603 cst Texas
    BTW if you want quote or info I HARDLY EVER GET ON SITES just due to time restraints...
    HAPPY CHRISTmas SEASON