Winterize 4XS steps

Any different steps to winterizing the new 4XS versus the 2 stroke? In the past I've always put a fuel stabilizer in the gas and ran it for a few minutes, then take the cowling off and fog it. My preferred dealer is several hours away and I've never felt like I gained anything by having a dealership winterize my outboard.

2. Member
    I am usually never right on much, but I don't remember seeing anything in the manual about fogging the engine. I did see stabilize the gas and change the lower unit oil. I am not positive that those were in the winterization section of the motor section or not. Give the dealer a call and see what they would say.

3. Member
    my dealer reccomened running an oil/gas mix thru till it smoked. much like fogging.

4. Member
    There are steps for "storage" in the Owners Manual and the Service Manual. On my 150 4s, it says to use Mercury Storage Seal Rust Inhibitor...but guessing it varies based on the engine design.
    Even on the Optimax, I don't think Fogging Oil was the recommenced thing, as it had tendencies to plug the injectors.

BTW, you probably want to put your S/N in so Don can answer specific your engine

Here are the exact words from the 150 4s Manual on Storage:

1. IMPORTANT: Refer to Maintenance ‐ Spark Plug Inspection andReplacement for correct procedure for removing spark plugs.
      • Change the engine oil and filter.
      • Remove the spark plugs.
      • Spray approximately 30 ml (1 fl oz) of Storage Seal RustInhibitor into each spark plug hole.
      • Actuate key/push button start switch to crank the enginethrough one start cycle, which will distribute the storage sealthroughout the cylinders.
      • Install the spark plugs.

2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... it's covered in the Engine Owner's manual.

Definitely treat the fuel with stabilizer and run until it's all the way through the system.

The dealer comment (above) about a fuel/oil mixture is also an acceptable alternative (to using storage seal in the cylinders).

Just a reminder- be sure to review the Forum Announcements, and provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by framer View Post
    my dealer reccomened running an oil/gas mix thru till it smoked. much like fogging.
    2 stroke oil and what ratio? thanks

7. Member
    i do not know ratio.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you are going to use that method- it needs to be from a separate portable fuel source. Mixed opinions on this topic... with merits to both the "to do" and "not to do" sides.

The separate fuel source is usually mixed with 1 gallon fuel, 1 ounce of Quickstore, and 6 ounces of Premium Plus Oil. Run engine until mixture is fully through system, and reconnect normal/fresh fuel source (properly stabilized, of course) after engine shutdown.

I personally do not like this method- as there is some potential of damage or fouling of the O2 sensor (V6/V8 product, specifically). <<<---- JMHO.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    I never "winterize" my motors...around here we fish 12 months a year.

Quote Originally Posted by lakebouef5 View Post
    No need to rub our face in it. 5 degrees here.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

11. Scraps
    Shut up.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

12. Banned
    Winterizing to me is lowering the motor when i back it in the shop.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    No need to rub our face in it. 5 degrees here.
    Right, but they don't get to enjoy the unique experience of driving their truck out a mile from shore, drilling a 10" hole in the ice that is 24" thick, and sitting in a nice warm fish house with their buddies while jigging up some nice catches....but I digress.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

14. Member
    I’ll take this:
    15923A63-A385-417D-AB34-540AEE84E710.png

Over sitting in a small shack with a bunch of ice holes all winter.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

15. Member
    ok, neat

16. Member
    I do the same in NE WA unless the launch freezes shut. I really enjoy fishing on a cold clear day, usually have the whole lake to myself. Then again I've got a full cover and heat too.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax