Recommendations on new trolling motor

Looking for some advise on upgrading.

My current set up is:
    2000 Skeeter 190 with a Motorguide Brute 67 (12/24)

Preferences are:
    more thrust
    24V
    spot lock
    compatible with my Lowrance Ti2’s

Im looking at the Motorguide Tour Pro 80.
    Should I look at Minnkota?
    Does anyone have input on a comparable motor in the same price range or lower?

Thanks,
    JM

2. Member
    Minn Kotas are compatible with Humminbird.

3. Member
    Have you looked at the MG Xi5? The new Tour Pro has what you are looking for if you want to wait until they release them some time in Jan. 2020
    Bruce Theriot
    2003 Champion 196 Elite
    200 Mercury Optimax

4. Banned
    Only options available:

MG Xi5

Future to be released Tour Pro HD+

Ultrex with an US2 adapter cable (I assume they still make it)

Terrova with US2 adapter cable

Lowrance Ghost (most expensive of the bunch)

Since you have Ti2’s you’d be fully compatible with the ghost. Downscan & 2d come built into the motor.

5. Member
    Thanks for the input guys.

I like the price point of the Xi5, but I'm not sure about the stow/deploy and the remote since everyone says the foot pedal is no good.

I'll have to look at the MinnKotas more now that I know there is an adapter to work with my Elites.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jplus4 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys.

I like the price point of the Xi5, but I'm not sure about the stow/deploy and the remote since everyone says the foot pedal is no good.

I'll have to look at the MinnKotas more now that I know there is an adapter to work with my Elites.
    Not sure but I think the adapters for Minn Kota to Lowrance is just for the transducers. If you want to link the trolling motor to the Ti2 you'll need compatable units.
    My Xi5 works wonderfully connected to my Ti. And once you get used to the foot pedal it's just fine. The remote works well and actually gets very close to just replacing the foot pedal.

7. Banned
    But won’t the Xi5 require a gateway kit or no? They aren’t all that cheap from what I’ve seen.

8. Member
    If your running Lowrance, just wait for the Tour Pro.
    -Matt

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    But won’t the Xi5 require a gateway kit or no? They aren’t all that cheap from what I’ve seen.
    Yes...need a gateway kit and a NMEA starter kit.

10. Member
    Does anyone know if the Motorguide Xi5 with PinPoint will work without connecting to a NMEA network? Meaning, can I use the anchor feature or does it only work if connected to a network?

11. Member
    Does anyone know if the Motorguide Xi5 with PinPoint will work without connecting to a NMEA network? Meaning, can I use the anchor feature or does it only work if connected to a network?
    You can use those features via the remote or foot pedal without being connected to anything.

12. Member
    Yes it will work stand alone...anchor feature,jog feature,save 8 anchor points,save 8 trails up to 2 miles each, cruise contral, all on the remote.

13. Member
    Looking for some advise on upgrading.

My current set up is:
    2000 Skeeter 190 with a Motorguide Brute 67 (12/24)

Preferences are:
    more thrust
    24V
    spot lock
    compatible with my Lowrance Ti2’s

Im looking at the Motorguide Tour Pro 80.
    Should I look at Minnkota?
    Does anyone have input on a comparable motor in the same price range or lower?

Thanks,
    JM
    The compatable to the Lowrance TI series is the hang up here. If you want to be able to follow routes/trails and go to saved waypoints in the depth finder then you're choice is either the Xi5 or the New TourPro when it is introduced. If you're just wanting the transducer to work with the unit, then the MinnKota will do what you're wanting. The Ultrex with IPilot and a Lowrance adapter will give you a bowmount trolling motor and emulates a cable steered motor with spot lock and a remote. You can save some waypoints and tracks in the remote. The adapter will allow the Lowrance to use the builit in sonar transducer. You will not need a NEMA network to do this. Give us a call if we can help.
    John
    870 773 3474
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

14. Member
    I think that I have narrowed my search down to the Minn Kota Ultrex after all of your input and jumping down the trolling motor rabbit hole.

Here are the few questions that I still have:

Can I use the GPS/Anchor/Routing features WITHOUT the "Link" version. So it will basically operate by itself.
    Does the universal sonar work with my Lowrance Ti2? (I think i need the adapter). I know I will lose the side imaging, but I don't really use it on the bow anyway. And is the universal sonar going to give me good readings (I'm not sure I understand the differences in sonars and I have the triple shot now)?
    Where is the best place to "get a deal"? The going price for a 80lb/45"/24V seems to be right at $2399.

Thanks in advance and I really appreciate all of the input from a great community.
    JM

15. Member
    I think that I have narrowed my search down to the Minn Kota Ultrex after all of your input and jumping down the trolling motor rabbit hole.

Here are the few questions that I still have:

Can I use the GPS/Anchor/Routing features WITHOUT the "Link" version. So it will basically operate by itself. Yes, The Anchor lock is both on the footpedal and the remote. The remote also supplies a limited amount of waypoints and tracks. The Link version is only good for compatable Humminbird units and allows for more waypoints/tracks/trails and operation through the unit. Since you're running Lowrance's, there is no need for the Link.
    Does the universal sonar work with my Lowrance Ti2? (I think i need the adapter). The Universal sonar is an 83/200mhz transducer and will work for sonar only on the Lowrance. You will need an adapter ($39.95) to go from the Ultrex to the Lowrance unit. I know I will lose the side imaging, but I don't really use it on the bow anyway. And is the universal sonar going to give me good readings (I'm not sure I understand the differences in sonars and I have the triple shot now)? The Universal Sonar gives good readings. I personally use the universal sonar on my Ultrex through a Lowrance Gen 3. The tripleshot transducer is made for external mounting and gives sonar, down imaging, and side imaging. It is a good transducer for the transom, however if it's a glass boat I prefer the transducer to show 83/200 through the hull and the DI/SI on the transom. Sonar is the screen that normally shows a white background with various colors for the bottom, structure, and fish.
    Where is the best place to "get a deal"? The going price for a 80lb/45"/24V seems to be right at $2399.

Thanks in advance and I really appreciate all of the input from a great community.
    JM
    I have answered your questions in the quote above, using bold to show the answers. When you get ready to pull the trigger, give us a call. I can see you are fairly new to the boards with membership last December and 12post. We have been a sponsor on this board since 2006 and a moderator (though under a different name) since Al started these boards apx 15 to 16yrs ago. You have already seen our knowledge and assistance in these issues. Although we may not be the "cheapest" I believe that as a package you cannot beat our service and abilities to help.
    Thanks
    John
    870 773 3474
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]