Thread: Two boat tips

Two boat tips

You can make steering stops to prevent your big motor from turning while towing from about two feet of auto heater hose. I used the red type, as it was heavier than the black. Center up your big motor and measure the amount of exposed shaft, deduct about 1/8 -1/4" for ease of installation and cut. Punch/drill small hole in each piece of hose and tie it with about three foot of good string like caulk line as a keeper.

Lots of people use Ram mounts and sometimes the tightening knob is hard to reach. My steering console Lowrance unit is mounted close to my windshield, so I must have a Ram mount that must be tight. Made a simple wrench to fit the elongated knob on the Ram mount from an 18" piece of 1 1/2" OD PVC by cutting a rectangular notch in one end about 2 " deep so that it fits over the Ram nob. Wrapped some blue painters masking tape over the handle end to improve the grip and you are good to go.

I need to make one of those wrenches for my RAM mount. Got any pics of it?

3. Member
    Send me a msg with your e-mail address and I'll fwd a picture. I don't know how to post on here and don't have a smart phone.

for the steering stops I used 3/4" Aqua pex cut to length. Has worked well for me.......except when i forget to take them off.
    "heard it in a love song.........can't be wrong"

5. Banned
    new to the board , good tip. Thanks for sharing.