Rebuilt tilt/trim

99’ 225 HO
    I had my tilt/trim cylinders rebuilt. Now, I have the unit re-installed. The rams were all down and I filled the tank with DexronII. From what I’ve read I thought I could cycle the motor up and down and it would pull the fluid into the system then I could start bleeding. However, I can’t seem to get any fluid to pull into the system. The motor just spins.

How can I get the fluid to fill the cylinders?

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You'll have to pull the caps off the trim rams and fill that way.

3. Member
    I should clarify. The only ram that was rebuilt by the shop was the big center tilt ram. They couldn’t get the caps off the trim rams. Would it be ok to just fill the tilt ram and then work the air out?

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You can, but it would be easier to pull the unit back out and fill on the bench. Then bench bleed it, you'll need the crow foot tool to loosen the cap. I'm very surprised the shop couldn't get the trim caps off.

5. Member
    They tried heat on it even and couldn’t get them loose.

6. Member
    Is there any possible way to prime this system with out removing the trim cap? I’ve got the unit on a bench and can’t get the cap off with a spanner tool.

7. Member
    I spent about an hour with it on a bench in a vice. I just kept moving the tilt ram up and down until I finally got it to start pulling fluid. I had to add more fluid about 10 times. Eventually it got very hard to manually move the ram. So I installed it onto the boat and with the electric motor it moves the ram up and down. But, it won’t lift the motor. Currently I’m letting it sit for a while to hopefully bleed more air out.

Do you think this will work?

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes but you could have done it all on the bench if you had a battery you could hook up to.

9. Member
    I’m not sure what is wrong. But I can’t get the title ram to life the motor. Once the trim rams extend the lifting stops. Also the engine will not lower by the trim motor.

is it possible to have fluid inside incorrectly?

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Is this a salt water trim unit?

11. Member
    It’s possible that it’s had some salt. I bought the boat from Gulfport Miss. It came with a nice aluminum trailer so maybe there was some salt in its 20 year history.

Also I realized that I didn’t use DexronII. Instead I used Lucas synthetic ATF as the fluid.