Take-Off Stumble (cold)

1999 200 Optimax (ser. #0G886121)

When motor is cold, it will stumble when giving it the gas to get on plane (hot foot installed). It acts like it's not going to have enough umph to plane the boat over (Ranger 518), but eventually does catch. It sounds like it's not getting enough gas (sputtering). In addition, I will sometimes get an alarm beeping at me when this happens. It eventually stops though.

However, what's weird is that after I run the boat, and come off plane, I can let it idle along a few seconds and throttle it it back up, and it will plane out like nothing is wrong. I've done this multiple times, and it has never stumbled after I've made a run somewhere, and then come off plane (pressing the hotfoot down again). It will always throw the boat over like nobody's business.

Any likely causes that anyone can think of? I'm thinking if it was fuel, then it would do it regardless of whether the motor had been sitting a while (cold), or had been running (hot)? Just trying to think through what changes from when the motor is cold versus warmed up, and could cause this??? Thank you.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Fault History and Fault Seconds Counters would be very helpful, since you are receiving a warning horn.

The alarm is indicating something is wrong that needs to be addressed- printouts of the above Computer Diagnostic Reports would definitely help to narrow down the field of possibilities.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor