Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I've read your thread three times. Have you cleaned the throttle body passages while the carbs were off? Did you check the float bowls for warping? Many times the bowl is warped enough that the emulsion tube doesn't seal properly and a new bowl fixes the issue. Try replacing a couple of bowls,,when you do move the high speed orifice from the old bowl to the new replacement bowl. A gasket kit won't fix a warped bowl.

2. Member
    You posted that fuel was still in the carbs after it quits running. How much fuel?

3. Member
    There is slight warping in the carb bowls but I wouldn't think that would cause it to run decently and now barely idles. It idled better with the old power pack that had number 6 cylinder not firing.
    When it stops running, I unscrewed the drain from the float bowl and a decent amount came out

4. Member
    Just a heads up, I have figured out what is wrong. The new stator I purchased is bad. I tested the stator 3 times and ended up failing. I guess you can still get bad parts new.

5. Member

6. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Glad you figured that out let us know when you get the replacement how it runs .
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

7. Member
    As soon as it warms up and idles down, it starts to shut off unless I push the key in. I tried pumping the primer bulb and it doesnt help at all. The only thing that keeps it running is pushing the key in.

This is the statement that headed us in the wrong direction, this would indicate a fuel problem.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    As soon as it warms up and idles down, it starts to shut off unless I push the key in. I tried pumping the primer bulb and it doesnt help at all. The only thing that keeps it running is pushing the key in.

This is the statement that headed us in the wrong direction, this would indicate a fuel problem.

Yes, and thats before you informed me that I installed the nylon washer under the needle seat. The I readjusted carbs per manual

9. Member
    I put the replacement power pack on today and still a weak spark. So I decided to start from the top again. I started with the stator. While pulling the flywheel off, I noticed little shavings on some of the magnets. I havent seen this before. Two of the magnets have a small chip in the bottom corner.
    I checked the stator and all looks good. Still not understanding the flywheel though. I cleaned the flywheel really good and then used a puller to put it back on.
    I checked the optical sensor. Looks good. Manual didnt say how to check it.
    Before I checked anything else, I decided to put it all back together and try to run it.
    Well now I have decent spark. I did not try a jump test but did an inline test and it would run but still wasnt running normally. I am not sure what changed here. So I gave up for the evening before I said something bad and she got her(boat) feeling hurt

Think it may be the flywheel??? Feel like everything is starting to get replaced or just mess up after fixing something

10. Member
    Don’t overlook replacing the spark plug wires.!! I was working on a 92 and sounded just like what your doing. I replaced plug wires on a hunch and bingo all is good. Make sure you use the correct wire type,and get the pre molded wires.
    dont even try the cut and fab stuff.!!

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Normally I comment but this one,,

12. Member
    Thanks clayshooter but the wires have been replaced with the power pack along with the plugs.

This is my first boat and I can't seem to figure it out. I may just end up taking it somewhere.

13. Member
    I spoke with the shop that has my boat and they cant find whats wrong with it either. They told me 3 people worked on it. I am starting to believe this thing is possessed.

14. Member
    Has anyone checked for air in the fuel line?

15. Member
    I asked them what all they did and they said they went through all the trouble shooting steps. They also changed parts one by one with new ones to see if there was a change. I am not sure about the air in the fuel line, but I never did ask f they did that. I checked it a few weeks ago and didnt have any. Maybe I should take it somewhere else

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Did you take it to a Johnson/Evinrude shop or a we fix boats place?

17. Member
    How did you check for air in the fuel line?

18. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    If I was you I’d take a ride down to see Fred might be worth it lol
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

19. Member
    Yes the shop I took it to specializes in Johnson Evinrude.

I installed a clear fuel line to check for bubbles and I still have a clear inline fuel filter before the primer bulb. Is that the correct way?

They did inform me that I have one carb bowl that is leaking a small amount. The mechanic said that wouldnt cause my problem.

Who is Fred?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy2542 View Post
    Who is Fred?
    Fred, who are you? Remember I owe you a steak dinner with adult beverages next time you head north to visit my boy’s at Riverside Marine in Old Hickory, Tn.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast