Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Thanks 316jughead; I will be checking on these tonight. Hopefully I can get his problem fixed. I do know that the nylon washer needs to be removed. I guess something as small as that can cause the issue that I am having?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy2542 View Post
    Thanks 316jughead; I will be checking on these tonight. Hopefully I can get his problem fixed. I do know that the nylon washer needs to be removed. I guess something as small as that can cause the issue that I am having?
    Yes, it makes the float levels off, be careful when bending the float arm that you don't damage the needle. Make sure that the high speed jet in the float bowl is tight.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    Yes, it makes the float levels off, be careful when bending the float arm that you don't damage the needle. Make sure that the high speed jet in the float bowl is tight.
    Thank you. Float arm should be right. I adjusted it correctly. I just know that I put the washer on as the last owner had it on. It may be why it never ran right for him.

4. Member
    Unfortunately, after removing the nylon washer and adjusting tbe floats, still doesn't idle. It will idle a little longer but it backfires some. I turn idle screw out a little more. They are at 6 1/2 turns out. Not sure what else to check.

5. Member
    I went back and rechecked the spark an done cylinder has slightly weak spark. I used an inline spark tester. I will try swapping wires and then coils and see if that helps

6. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Did you do a check on the power pac also when replacing the other parts ? Start with coils and so on but check power pac also
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

7. Banned
    primer selenoid in correct position?

8. Member
    Yes primer solenoid is in the correct position.

9. Member
    Well, I have installed a new primer solenoid rebuild kit and adjusted the carbs to spec. I recleaned the car s again since I had them off. I replaced spark plugs and re checked spark and all looks good. But still dies at idle. If its cold it will run till it gets warm then dies. Before it dies it starts to hiccup. Not sure what to do

10. Member
    First it would somewhat idle, after replacing the stator it wouldn't idle, then strange that it would idle before, and then before stator and carb work it would idle with no problem. There have been several things posted that you should have made sure of or checked. Please start at the beginning and read the posts and answer each thing that was to make sure of or needed to be checked. You may omit the ones you have answered. This will help us a lot. There are several things that could contribute to your problem, if you could get it to stay running, the idle timing can be set with a timing light, if your careful and not expose the sensor to the light. All carbs not completely closed at idle. Air leaks at carbs. Air in the fuel lines, if the motor smokes a lot at idle this could be the problem. Low idle caused by faulty recirculation system. Bad reeds. VST tank, bad needle and seat, wrong float level. Wrong spark plugs, should be Champion QL78YC gap at .030. Water in the fuel tank and or oil tank. The idle adjustment screws should be adjusted as per your service manual, with the boat in the water, running the boat on plane to around 4000 rpm for a few minutes will balance out the carbs and give you the idle at that adjustment, I like the idle to be higher than the manual, around 800 rpm. With the boat in the water you must keep those exhaust relief holes, on the back of the motor, out of the water at idle, motor should be level or slightly higher. I have not posted the possible contributing things in any particular order of importance, just some of the things I have run in to. I believe the motor running in QuikStart when cold and then not running when warm, could be a problem caused by a lean low idle. Don't give up
    Last edited by 316jughead; 12-14-2019 at 06:02 AM.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    First it would somewhat idle, after replacing the stator it wouldn't idle, then strange that it would idle before, and then before stator and carb work it would idle with no problem. There have been several things posted that you should have made sure of or checked. Please start at the beginning and read the posts and answer each thing that was to make sure of or needed to be checked. You may omit the ones you have answered. This will help us a lot. There are several things that could contribute to your problem, if you could get it to stay running, the idle timing can be set with a timing light, if your careful and not expose the sensor to the light. All carbs not completely closed at idle. Air leaks at carbs. Air in the fuel lines, if the motor smokes a lot at idle this could be the problem. Low idle caused by faulty recirculation system. Bad reeds. VST tank, bad needle and seat, wrong float level. Wrong spark plugs, should be Champion QL78YC gap at .030. Water in the fuel tank and or oil tank. The idle adjustment screws should be adjusted as per your service manual, with the boat in the water, running the boat on plane to around 4000 rpm for a few minutes will balance out the carbs and give you the idle at that adjustment, I like the idle to be higher than the manual, around 800 rpm. With the boat in the water you must keep those exhaust relief holes, on the back of the motor, out of the water at idle, motor should be level or slightly higher. I have not posted the possible contributing things in any particular order of importance, just some of the things I have run in to. I believe the motor running in QuikStart when cold and then not running when warm, could be a problem caused by a lean low idle. Don't give up

Thanks 316jughead. I am going to start from the beginning again and re check everything. Hopefully I over looked or forgot something. And it does smoke a lot.

12. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Re-check everything you have done starting with the replacement of the stator and rectifier because if I read this correctly that is when your problem started and also rebuilding the carbs correct???

13. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    any update jonboy2542 just wondering how you made out ???

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    any update jonboy2542 just wondering how you made out ???
    Expecting a miracle?

15. Member
    Well i just had time to get out there and work on it today. My timing was off just slightly.

I did a link and sync and everything is correct.
    The reeds look good.
    The idle screw is turned out 6 1/2 turns

Strangely after adjusting timing it ran at idle after quickstart for a few minutes and then died.

16. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Is the engine trimmed up level while ideling....those exhaust relief holes just below the top cowling need to be out of the water.....

17. Member
    does it run for a while before dying? do you have to prime again every time it dies? something similar happened to my brother's Johnson and it turned out the pump was not getting a proper vacuum from the pulse limiter, the carbs would get full and then empty, we found out by unscrewing the drain bolt and check if there was fuel on it every time it died

18. Member
    I checked the carbs after it shut off and there is still fuel in them. Im going to put it in the water sometime this weekend and adjust the idle screw some more.

19. Member

20. Member
    I am trying to post a video of it running but having trouble with it loading

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast