Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Lithium Cranking Battery

What brand lithium cranking battery are you using with a mercury pro xs?

2. Member
    Using Ionic 125 Amp for my 175 Pro XS.

3. Member
    Relion RB100HP on my G2
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

4. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    We sell a lot of the Ionic 125ah for the ProXS, I personally run one with my SHO

IC_12V125-EP4S-gry.jpg
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

Relion RB100HP for my 250 ProXs
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

6. Member
    Relion RB100HP for my Mercury 225 V6 Flawless.
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

7. Member
    None - I suggest reading the manual for your Merc and you will see why. ;)

8. Member
    I cannot find the cold cranking amps, or any cranking amps, on their web site.
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    We sell a lot of the Ionic 125ah for the ProXS, I personally run one with my SHO

IC_12V125-EP4S-gry.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    None - I suggest reading the manual for your Merc and you will see why. ;)
    Great post,very informative,care to elaborate?
    Last edited by bass-action; 12-06-2019 at 05:01 AM.
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-action View Post
    Great post,very informative,care to elaborate?
    No, but others before me have done it quite well:
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    RangerZ... not even bothering to quote you, as I feel it is beyond DANGEROUS to continue putting some of those statements in print.

Speaking SPECIFICALLY of your "friend's" 250 ProXS Fourstroke that you claim continued to run fine after the battery was disconnected:

-The engine is, EVEN in a Mechanical Shift/Throttle Model Number, a DTS (Digital Throttle and Shift) Engine at it's core. The ignition coils, two fuel pumps, six fuel injectors, starter, main power relay, trim relays, PCM, Voltage Regulator in the Alternator, Throttle Actuator, Shift Actuator, and a full array of sensors onboard the engine all require voltage from the battery to operate. The Alternator's job is NOT to power the engine. It's job is to "maintain the fully charged state of ONE Proper Type, Properly Rated, and Fully Charged Cranking Battery".

-The Engine's PCM monitors Battery Voltage constantly. In the event of LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE, the PCM will enable ENGINE GUARDIAN, and limit Available Power based on the severity of the low voltage event. This includes limiting power to as little as 3% available power in FORWARD GEAR (forced idle). Complete loss of battery would cause this, especially at high RPM's.

-In addition to the above features, the MPR (Main Power Relay) requires an absolute bare minimum voltage of 9.5 VDC to keep the contacts closed. If the contacts open- the engine dies, story over.

-These engines are equipped with an Idle Charge Strategy, which is a PCM Programmed Feature that monitors battery charge condition, and ramps up engine idle speed when or where necessary to provide additional charging output over a shorter period of time. This feature's programming is based on a specific battery design/profile, which would be the battery type specified by the manufacturer (AGM).

-Amperage demands of the engine ramp up as the engine RPM's increase. While some components utilize virtually the same amperage/load, others (such as fuel pumps, ignition coils and injectors) consume exponentially more current. While the alternator's output is increased with engine RPM's, we must remember that the alternator does NOT power the electronics (the battery does).

-One other BIG consideration: Some of the rigs involved in fishing have more than one engine involved. These rigs are often equipped with a BATTERY ISOLATOR (and in many such cases, the alternator is bypassing the engine harness, through an isolator, and then to the BATTERIES). So the engine may react quite differently in such a situation.

In short- and as I stated earlier, I strongly recommend utilizing the AGM Battery type, with AMPLE capacity for these engines (as per the manufacturer's recommendation).

IMO---- when Mercury came out with the V8 four stroke they should have called it something other than a Pro XS.. Sure would have cut down on a lot of confusion.
    I believe the OP has a 2 stroke Pro XS which IMO would be fine with the Ionic 125 ah .. I ran one on my 300XS 2 stroke with great results. When I got my new rig with a V8-4 stroke 250R I had intentions of using it ---UNTIL I read about the issues it can cause with the V8..

No, but others before me have done it quite well:
    That is for the new ProXs four strokes with mechanical shift. That is not what the topic starter has. Lithium batteries are deemed acceptable by Mercury for non mechanical shift engines.
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

Quote Originally Posted by bass-action View Post
    That is for the new ProXs four strokes with mechanical shift. That is not what the topic starter has. Lithium batteries are deemed acceptable by Mercury for non mechanical shift engines.
    I think you have that backwards. I believe that they are ok for the pre DTS mechanical shift/throttle.
    SOME of the new V8's still have a mechanical shift/throttle. all the cables do is activate the DTS digital throttle and shift.
    While some are straight digital with no mechanical cables.

14. Banned
    RB100HP 250 ProXs
    2 Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I think you have that backwards. I believe that they are ok for the pre DTS mechanical shift/throttle.
    SOME of the new V8's still have a mechanical shift/throttle. all the cables do is activate the DTS digital throttle and shift.
    While some are straight digital with no mechanical cables.
    Yes,my mistake added the "non" for some reason,thanks
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

16. Member
    If you think issues related to a BMS isolating power from the cells is just the new models, start your current outboard and then turn of the main switch in your boat. See what happens to the cables, the rectifier and eventually the generator. It starts with heat buildup, and ends in a big bill from the local workshop if you let it run.

In the not so distant future this will be solved, but we are not there yet. Stick to a good AGM for cranking, use LiFePO4 for the rest in your boat, and quite simply wait for that solution.

17. Member
    I switched from a Relion RB100HP to an Ionic 125 and experienced two power shutdowns with my Optimax 225. I’ve got a 225 ProXS 4s being installed and I’m going to use an agm for ignition and the lithium as a house battery through a combiner. I’m also installing the PP Charge system.

If you think issues related to a BMS isolating power from the cells is just the new models, start your current outboard and then turn of the main switch in your boat. See what happens to the cables, the rectifier and eventually the generator. It starts with heat buildup, and ends in a big bill from the local workshop if you let it run.

How long will the BMS shut the power off ? I was under the impression it was momentary.

19. Member

How long will the BMS shut the power off ? I was under the impression it was momentary.
    There might be minor differences between brands depending on how the BMS is programmed, but typically whenever the voltage spikes, or whenever the battery is fully charged.

20. Member

Mine stayed off until I shut the motor off. Then I was able to power everything back up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast