Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ranger quality these days

Is it me or does it seem like the 300 and 400 series boats in the mid 90’s was built alot better than todays? I know they are alot more fancy now compared to those years but it seems like the quality is lacking on alot of boats these days just not Ranger.

Quote Originally Posted by brentw View Post
    Is it me or does it seem like the 300 and 400 series boats in the mid 90’s was built alot better than todays? I know they are alot more fancy now compared to those years but it seems like the quality is lacking on alot of boats these days just not Ranger.
    It's you. No comparison at all.

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Everything looks better in the rear view mirror. I don’t remember too well the spider cracks and equipment flaws of my boats from 25 years ago, but there was a reason I’m not still driving them today. No doubt several reasons. My 2018 is really nice: fit, finish, and performance. Performance, in fact, is where these hulls keep getting better and better. Was in a Ranger showroom last week looking at 2020 models. I’d be really surprised if anyone examined 10 or 12 of these beauties and came away disappointed. Extremely well-made and obviously well-appointed. Don’t get me wrong: I’ll confess to having a soft spot in my heart for every bass boat in my past. But I catch myself thinking all the time these days, “If I could take my 2018 boat back to 1988, I’d rock their world.”
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Member
    I took the plant tour on Monday. I so bad wanted to ask the employees doing the work if they had been changing things up or cutting corners here and there to save a dollar. It was my first tour and I don't have anything to compare it to. There's only a few places they could cut corners from what I noticed, maybe spray the hulls/top caps with a little less fiberglass. Everything is done by hand except the water jet cutting the compartment holes in the top cap. I think the main differences is the peripherals that go on boats, ie. motors, trolling motors, graphs, shallow water anchors, etc.

If you ever go to Flippin, and trust me you will be going "to" Flippin, stop and take the tour. They do it 8:30, 10:30, and 12:30. It's well worth your time to do so.
    Joey Aderhold

5. Member
    I'll eco what John said. I'm on my 11th. Ranger boat (first one was a TR-3, wish I still had) and all have been great for the time period. Last January I bought a 19 520 L without electronics. Had to take seats out to run tranducer cable from transom to console. Was really impressed with the fit and how the wiring was secured and ran under the seats. I came out of a C boat that was awesome but this boat is hands down the best of all that I've owned by far. Quality, performance, looks and fishability, it has it all. Having said all that, it's remarkable the number of 300 and 400 series boats that's still out there, looking good and giving their owners an awesome platform to fish from. Speaks well for Ranger quality IMO!

6. Member
    People say that stuff about cars and trucks too. Fact is they are way better than they’ve ever been. It use to be a big deal to put 100,000 miles on a vehicle. Now if you have to dump any money into them before 150,000 miles they are a pos.

7. Member
    I'm very pleased with the quality of my new rig. I think the glass work is much better than my 2012 was, and it was good on that boat.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

Is that a serious post?

I've been in my 2020 now for 2 months. Its Ranger number 5 spanning 30 years. Completely satisfied with the fit and finish with my new boat. I've called customer service twice for a couple of add ons.... and one very minor warranty issue. 5 minutes on the phone and I was completely taken care of.
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

10. Member
    I have been impressed by the quality of my new 520c. No problems to date. Rides and performs fantastic.

My 2018 Z518C has a great fit and finish. I've had older Rangers and they were nice but not the Ranger of today. The quality is still there.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

12. Member
    There is a forum member that works for someone like Rockwell automation ...can’t quite remember. He once posted that he was just installing new equipment for Ranger and made a comment on how these boats just get better and better w the upgrades.

It it might have been more high pressure water cutters but he didn’t say. I’d love to take the tour. Have watched the tour video a few times to watch and analyze how things come together.

Fit and finish of my 2019 is top notch.

13. Member
    It's you. No way.....

I agree with everyone else's comments. I had a 1996 461VS that I bought in 2000. At that time I thought that a better boat could not built. Rock solid. In fact it was probably the best all around boat that Ranger was putting out. Fast forward to now. I stopped and checked out a the new Rangers a few weeks ago. Quality and workmanship was spot on. I tried to find flaws in the whole boat but couldn't. I still miss my 461 because it was the best riding boat that I've ever sat my butt in!

15. Member
    Third Ranger spanning back to the 80’s. My 90’s model was awful on quality. My 2017 has been fabulous.

16. Member
    It's you
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

Quality perceptions can be skewed as well. Think back to the era before ease of communication. You didn’t often hear about issues like quality unless it was locally. Now everyone will Yelp it or otherwise bash things on social media. I think, absent some anomalies, quality is better.

I have owned several boat brands and have come to this conclusion, Ranger and Bass Cat offer the best production bass boat available. I've been fishing out of Rangers and Cat's since the late 80's with few other boat company coming close until the Skeeter FXR which is providing a top 3 product. I know this is a quality related question but to me design has to be a consideration.

Ranger has a very traditional design at its core which has been very subtly improved upon and I do not expect them to ever deviate. Cat typcially takes the design to an extreme which appeals to some and not others but the build quality is arguably the best. Skeeter has been paying attention and is producing a much higher quality product. They started making their own trailers, fixed their hull to improve ride and have gradually eliminated most of the plastic trim parts. Even though I am not a fan of all the plastic trim on the Ranger, they do not cut corners with it. Phoenix and Falcon are in a dual over 4th place both offering well thought out designs.

The other not mentioned companies offer good products but lack something or are to new to make my list.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

19. Member
    I agree with OP; I think attention to detail was better then. Just my experience.
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

20. Member
    2 years in on my 2018 and only problem was trim gauge light bulb need reseated and a merc oil leak. For the budget Z185 I have no complaints.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast